• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 ShielMaster/Crusader worth for tanking?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Usual Leeroy Jenkins rush, anything random that separates me from everybody, last man standing, or something that leaves me alone.
In combat, you want to be in the same area as your party, whenever possible, Leroy Jenkins is a bad idea. If you're moving towards your enemies, and the rest of your party is doing what they should be doing, you being the last man standing shouldn't happen. Everyone should run away before it gets there.

Even if they're far away where I don't threaten?
It is more effective to move yourself to the enemy so as to bring them within a range you threaten, than expect to find ways for the enemy to come to you. Reach weapons increase your threat range.

Luka

First Post
3. This is why I went with a 1h weapon and shield build. So it meets the requirement of not having a 2h weapon. Ethereal creatures can show up at just about any level. Thats why I gave the weapon a slot for an Augment Crystal (look in the Magic Item Compendium for these items and their rules). There are also weapon properties to counter etherialness but the Augment Crystals are better solutions as they aren't permanant enchants and can be switched out for different situations.

Where does that Kusari-gama appear? been reading the DMG but haven't found it, it's a Light weapon, right?

SO, it would be good to carry the Longsword, a shield and a Reach weapon for Having a Higher Threat range and the longsword for up close, as far I know, one handed weapons are stronger than light aren't they? Aside from a nice amount of AC.

Last edited:

cjosephs1s

First Post
Kusari -Gama is on pg 145 under the Asian weapons table.

This is where your language barrier may come into play. Threat range is the number you need to in order to threaten a critical hit (look in the players handbook for critical hits and under the weapons section to see how threat range works). The areas you threaten are effectively the places in combat that you can attack with your current weapon (Read chapter 8 for this and it will probably make sense. If you still have questions I will try to explain it using different terminology). I highly suggest that if you have the PHB you look this up in your native language otherwise it may not make any sense as the two are so closely related as far as the word they use.

The reason I chose a reach weapon is that it theatens a larger area than the longsword. I wasn't worried about threat range. And the "strenght" of a weapon isn't usually determined by what catagory it falls under (light, medium, large, martial, ect) It has many factors including how you use it, what you are trying to accomplish with it, and a lot of other factors.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
This is where your language barrier may come into play. Threat range is the number you need to in order to threaten a critical hit (look in the players handbook for critical hits and under the weapons section to see how threat range works). The areas you threaten are effectively the places in combat that you can attack with your current weapon (Read chapter 8 for this and it will probably make sense.
Actually, my bad on confusing those two for him. I misspoke.

Luka

First Post
Kusari -Gama is on pg 145 under the Asian weapons table.

Just seen it, it's a light weapon with 1d6 damage right? been looking from whee the meteor hammer comes from too but haven't found it, but it's 2 handed and deals 1d10 damage right? would swap from it to sword and board fast when enemies get too close, and damage would threaten more since it has a higher dice, dunno...

wat?.. Just noticed, kusari-gama is a throwing scythe?

A Kusari-gama is a scythe on a chain. Don't confuse throwing weapons with reach weapons. If the actual text in your version says it's throwing, it was not translated properly.

Swapping weapons is generally a poor strategy. It's a move action to pull out a weapon unless you have a certain feat. It's also a move action to put a weapon or shield away. You could be doing something much better with these actions.

Using a search engine I've found the meteor hammer is listed in Dragon Magazine 319, dandwiki, and Pathfinder. In most D&D 3.5 games none of these sources will be allowed. If Emoplato knew you were a novice I don't think he would have mentioned the weapon.

Larger damage dice tend to become irrelevant as your character gains levels. What I mean with that is 1d10 on its own won't be doing any worthwhile damage in comparison to 1d6 later on, since the maximum difference is only 4 damage. 4 damage is nothing past level 5 or so.

Luka

First Post
A Kusari-gama is a scythe on a chain. Don't confuse throwing weapons with reach weapons. If the actual text in your version says it's throwing, it was not translated properly.

Oh I should have made enphasis on the "scythe" part...

Swapping weapons is generally a poor strategy. It's a move action to pull out a weapon unless you have a certain feat. It's also a move action to put a weapon or shield away. You could be doing something much better with these actions.

Oh it's not like I'm gonna be moving around too much right? If I'm supposed to stay near the party and catch enemies getting near, the move action wouldn't be that much a waste unless the party moves away, which would make an AoO for the enemy.

Last edited:

cjosephs1s

First Post
[MENTION=6674868]RUMBLETiGER[/MENTION] No biggie. I Understood what you meant and I'm sure just about everyone else did too since we know the rules on how reach work.

[MENTION=6685538]Luka[/MENTION] Well the idea is that you won't be moving a whole lot once you get your character into position. But a move action is still an action which takes away from other actions. So if you use a move action to pull a new weapon you won't get a full round of attacks (at level 12 this is 3 attacks for a full round of attacks.) You will only get 1 attack. And if you take a move action to put a weapon away and a move action to draw a weapon this is basically your entire turn that round and you get no attacks unless an opponent provokes an attack of opportunity. This is why I told you to read chapter 8 in the PHB on how combat works. It outlines all of this in good detail and has charts showing what actions are move actions, standard actions, and free actions and if they provoke attacks of opportunity under normal circumstances.

Luka

First Post
So if you use a move action to pull a new weapon you won't get a full round of attacks (at level 12 this is 3 attacks for a full round of attacks.) You will only get 1 attack. And if you take a move action to put a weapon away and a move action to draw a weapon this is basically your entire turn that round and you get no attacks unless an opponent provokes an attack of opportunity.

I just read it and it says that when a Character gets a BAB of +1 the it's a Free action combined with a move action, I don't understand what athat actually means.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads