• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 ShielMaster/Crusader worth for tanking?

cjosephs1s

First Post
I just read it and it says that when a Character gets a BAB of +1 the it's a Free action combined with a move action, I don't understand what athat actually means.

If you are quoting it from the book then this is a slight translation error from English to your native language and is the authors fault

Drawing a weapon is a move action
Sheathing a weapon is move action

If you have a Base attack bonus of +1 or higher you my draw a weapon as a free action with your regular move.

If you were to picture this in your head what would happen is your character would start moving and you could draw your weapon at the same time while he is moving. The drawing of the weapon is a free action when you move.

Keep in mind moving means you must take a move action to so in order for you to draw your weapon for free.

Since english isnt' your native language and the translation wasn't accurate this may be quite confusing to you and if so just ask. Maybe someone else can better explain it.

Overall for the most part this is a very small sidenote rule that doesn't come into play very often so I wouldn't spend a lot of time or effort worrying about it.

Luka

First Post
If you are quoting it from the book then this is a slight translation error from English to your native language and is the authors fault

I have it in english

Drawing a weapon is a move action
Sheathing a weapon is move action

If you have a Base attack bonus of +1 or higher you my draw a weapon as a free action with your regular move.

If you were to picture this in your head what would happen is your character would start moving and you could draw your weapon at the same time while he is moving. The drawing of the weapon is a free action when you move.

Looks like that's what it meant, thanks :)

Luka

First Post
So, since it's better to not multiclass to a mage because of the spell failure and loss of maneuvers, would it be worth to multiclass to Warblade? since it gives initiator levels and more feats.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
So, since it's better to not multiclass to a mage because of the spell failure and loss of maneuvers, would it be worth to multiclass to Warblade? since it gives initiator levels and more feats.

Yes, Because...

Tome Of Battle classes stack with other classes and each other where (Other class= 1/2 level of initiator class) which means a single level dip into another ToB class bring a lot of power. It's a very cool thing.

It's also not a build suggestion I'd offer to someone newly learning the game.

I think part of why this discussion is complicated is because, while Tome of Battle classes are REALLY GOOD, they're complicated for a new player compared to quite a few other base classes.

Luka

First Post
I think part of why this discussion is complicated is because, while Tome of Battle classes are REALLY GOOD, they're complicated for a new player compared to quite a few other base classes.

Well, Crusader's the best Tanking class there is and I may end up getting used to it, seems similar to a Paladin from Lineage 2 (Healing Skills that work a bit similar)

cjosephs1s

First Post
Well, Crusader's the best Tanking class there is and I may end up getting used to it, seems similar to a Paladin from Lineage 2 (Healing Skills that work a bit similar)

Once again we remind you this isn't like a video game. The two work in completely different ways so don't base what you know from video games and try to convert that into D&D knowledge. It simply won't work

Luka

First Post
Once again we remind you this isn't like a video game. The two work in completely different ways so don't base what you know from video games and try to convert that into D&D knowledge. It simply won't work

Yeah, and so much I can tank in space simulators lol
Nah just Rumbletiger told me I would get confused using the Crusader, but I've played similar things anyways, so I wouldn't that much.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Yeah, and so much I can tank in space simulators lol
Nah just Rumbletiger told me I would get confused using the Crusader, but I've played similar things anyways, so I wouldn't that much.
I don't mean to insult you, honestly you've kept up with the entire conversation better than I'd expect a new player to.
The benefitst of adding one level of Warblace to a Crusader build are verfy good, and figuring out exactly what those benefits are is complicated. Because those ToB classes run off an exception to all other classes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads