D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Warlock Concept Build

Ookinaushi

First Post
Thanks for all of the advice, everyone.

So what I gather..... Making a pixie warlock won't be broken, but it would still be useful enough in most situations, and the major offsets can be taken care of with some feat taking and good invocation taking.

For a Pixie Warlock, Practiced Spellcaster would be nice to hit enemies a little better with effects, but isn't entirely needed. The Extra invocation would definitely help to add versatility, and not to multiclass. I looked up the hellfire warlock.... It interests me greatly :p With a good restoration wand, I think it would work pretty well. But I would need more information on how to get into a Hellfire Warlock and all that. Could someone give me direction there?

Now, would a Pixie Sorc/Rogue work? Sorry that I keep beating this dead horse, I am just hoping to find a good sneak attack/magic thing to work. If it doesn't work, then it's fine.

Would the Arcane Trickster be useful? Or would that still suffer from the LA/multiclassing hindrance too much?

Thanks again!

irdeggman

First Post
For a Pixie Warlock, Practiced Spellcaster would be nice to hit enemies a little better with effects, but isn't entirely needed. The Extra invocation would definitely help to add versatility, and not to multiclass. I looked up the hellfire warlock.... It interests me greatly :p With a good restoration wand, I think it would work pretty well. But I would need more information on how to get into a Hellfire Warlock and all that. Could someone give me direction there?

Practiced Spellcaster does you no good for a strait class pixe warlock.

A pixie has either a +4 or a +6 LA but has no racial hit dice.

Practiced Spellcaster increases your CL by up to +4 but not to exceed your total hit dice.

A warlock's caster level is his class levels (which equates to hit dice in the formula).

Now, would a Pixie Sorc/Rogue work? Sorry that I keep beating this dead horse, I am just hoping to find a good sneak attack/magic thing to work. If it doesn't work, then it's fine.

Would the Arcane Trickster be useful? Or would that still suffer from the LA/multiclassing hindrance too much?

Same problems with any spellcasting class and multi-classing with a non-spellcasting one - you lose caster levels and class abilities (like number of spells known or that can be cast per day)

Remember that your sneak attack with a ranged weapon like spell is only good up to 30 ft so you will still need to be fairly close to the target.

Ookinaushi

First Post
Remember that your sneak attack with a ranged weapon like spell is only good up to 30 ft so you will still need to be fairly close to the target.

But isn't an EB a touch attack? Wouldn't the distance not be a problem, then?

So to wrap this all up... Could someone give me the required information on a Hellfire Warlock? I think being a Pixie Hellfire would be pretty sweet. I would like to know how to get into one, and its progression, and items to help with its downfalls (like the con damage). I think the invisibility/small/flying thing would be a good trade for Con damage :p

The dice roll I added has no meaning. I just wanted to test the feature out.

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
But isn't an EB a touch attack? Wouldn't the distance not be a problem, then?

The basic EB is a "ranged" touch attack.

Sneak attack is only good for 30 ft with a ranged attack (doesn't matter if it is a touch attack or a normal attack).

From the SRD

"Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet."

Eldritch Glaive is a reach weapon so it would work but it only works for 10 ft (the reach distance).

Note that the DR from the pixie and the DR from the warlock class will not stack with each other - it is a common error to think that they just add up. Some things that grant DR specifically state that it stacks (like the DR from fey skin feat - see Complete Arcane for the fey heritiage feat chain)

jefgorbach

First Post
hmm depends on how long/high you see the campaign lasting.

pixie with warlock 1 for the unlimited EBs then concentrate on rogue for the sneak attack using it should be fun/easy exchange. Your racial abilities should more than offset the problems of being 5-levels behind the others for your life, at least circumstances typically nullify those advantages at much higher levels; by which point you'll like need to redo a character anyway so I'd go for it.

Remove ads