[3.5e D&D Greyhawk] The Sunless Citadel [OOC]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Do'h! I was tired last night and made a mistake. Instead of 2d5 (like there is a 5-sided dice) I meant 2-5 so that's 1d4+1. So make it 5 drinks for Eivan's Gather Info costs and you put some money back. Sorry.
I will answer IC in a few hours.

Errandir

First Post
Well, sorry about this one.

I don't want to hold up the game even more, but I honestly couldn't think of any reason to take the offer. It's a little frustrating, actually. Maybe I didn't make my character's motivations clear enough, but I assumed having our backstories approved meant that they would be somehow compatible with the plot...

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Sorry, I hadn't realized you expected more of a tie in. I originally was just going to use the sister searching to link to the next adventure location and hadn't been concentrating on clues for you to find. But no worries, I don't need to rush you to the Sunless Citadel itself.

Keep going as you wish, a little disagreement IC never hurt anybody. And I will flush out more of Oakhurst as you need.

grufflehead

First Post
Me neither. I must admit I was thinking 'Brunhilde is here to find her sister, so why would she just drop it and run off on this mission?' as the merchant pretty much said it didn't seem like Beatrix had gone with her children. I usually figure there's a certain amount of going with the flow in games where you have to let the GM gently steer you and I didn't want to be the one who put my foot down and said 'no, this doesn't seem like the sort of thing my character would do'.

I don't want to cause extra work for the GM - if Errandir and I were sticking rigidly to our backstories then we might just leave now as there doesn't seem any reason for us to go further. Out of game, we signed up to play the Sunless Citadel so it seems silly to walk away (especially given the amount of effort that went into chargen!).

So if we are going to continue to investigate round town, I'm going to edit my previous post or it's going to look stupid if Brunhilde says yes and then Eivan says no.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Gruffle, you may edit, since the Matriarch's response likely wouldn't change. Assuming you don't insult her or anything. ;)

Going with the flow is fine, but if you want to get better motivation, I will respond in IC as needed. It will not be more work, just delay the group's entrance to the dungeon. I have given it some thought so I have the ideas to generate the posts as necessary. But it will be up to you guys to find the clues and ask the right questions to the right people. Splitting up as you guys have done could speed it up as I will answer to individuals faster when not waiting for others to post. I can keep track of the simultaneous scenes that take place.

Errandir

First Post
Well, I think either choice is bad for the game. Trying to play a consistent character will hold up the game, but abandoning backstory altogether makes the whole thing feel contrived - more of an "okay, let's hurry up with all this roleplaying so we can get on with the hack-and-slash" kind of game.

In the end, I thought the first option was better. Also, it's not really so unequivocal as saying 'no, my character won't do this,' like you said. My character can be convinced by the party, or further evidence could turn up. It wouldn't even have taken an enormous amount of effort to make the tie in, just some sort of indication that Beatrix was in Oakhurst at some point. We both made gather information checks with fairly good results, but found nothing. What were we supposed to think?

I suppose I'll change it, though, if everyone else thinks covering up plot holes is a waste of time. Actually, most of us seem to have different ideas on roleplay vs. gaming here anyway. Maybe this isn't really my sort of game.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Actually it was one successful Gather Info check above DC10. I treated Brunhilde's listen as one, but it was only a 9. I gave her the caravan info without a roll.

And I would agree there is some different styles at play here. However I am not clear exactly what you want from me at this point. I can be flexible.

Errandir

First Post
I'm sorry, I think I said that badly. That was addressed to Grufflehead, and I didn't mean to complain about the way you've been handling the game - I've been enjoying it so far.

Anyway, not a big deal. It seems like most people just want to get on to the main adventure, so I changed the post back.

Remove ads