3.5e Planescape - Cold Black Mask OOC Thread

Cage-Rattler

First Post
A good way to start might be to develop some of your character's personalities, then toss ideas amongst yourselves as to why they enjoy (or at least tolerate) each others company. Maybe they shared adventures together; maybe they just enjoy swapping stories over a few drinks at the local ale house. Primes, if you want to decide on a world of origin, that's fine by me -- if nothing else, we can just make something up. ;)

Planars, let me know if you're thinking about starting the game with a faction affiliation, since there are faction-specific feats you can gain as benefits (borrowed and built upon the ones at The Kriegstanz). I know some of you have already said "no", but if you change your minds...

Cage-Rattler

First Post
Ambrus: I'll have to admit, I don't really see a reason to remove multi-classing penalties, but if you put up a good case I'll consider it. :)

Cage-Rattler

First Post
One final note for tonight; Zurai and Dire Lemming, you have a choice: you could stick with the stock tiefling and aasimar races, or you could randomly generate your planetouched powers by rolling on a table we put together (using a similar table in 2e's Planewalker's Handbook as a guide). Let me know what you'll like!

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Shiny! I'll see what I can do about character sheets in a timely fashion. I work this weekend, and I work 12-hour shifts, but I have some preliminary work done, so we'll see what I can put together here quickly.

Edit: Splendid, I found an older character sheet for a spiker fighter I ran in a different campaign, so now it's a matter of downgrading her, selecting different feats, rearranging skills, and getting different equipment.

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
Cage-Rattler said:
Ambrus: I'll have to admit, I don't really see a reason to remove multi-classing penalties, but if you put up a good case I'll consider it. :)
Well, a whisper gnome's favored class is normally rogue, which is fairly similar to the scout class. Since no race has scout as a favored class (that I know of) how about changing this whisper gnome's favored class to scout?

I don't know what other case I could make. :heh:

So, Nac Mac Feegle and Zurai, any consensus on which prime world we might all be from? I suppose we could just invent one, though I myself wouldn't mind something familiar such as say, the Forgotten Realms? :)

Last edited:

Zurai

First Post
Cage-Rattler said:
One final note for tonight; Zurai and Dire Lemming, you have a choice: you could stick with the stock tiefling and aasimar races, or you could randomly generate your planetouched powers by rolling on a table we put together (using a similar table in 2e's Planewalker's Handbook as a guide). Let me know what you'll like!

Oooo, sounds fun. I'd be up for that.

ambrus said:
So, Nac Mac Feegle and Zurai, any consensus on which prime world we might all be from? I suppose we could just invent one, though I myself wouldn't mind something familiar such as say, the Forgotten Realms?

I'm fine with FR. I'd have to do a bit of research to figure an appropriate schooling for Cinder, but with how high-power FR is, that won't be too much of a problem.

Cage-Rattler

First Post
Isida: Très bien!

To those of you who have more experience in this sort of thing than I, would you prefer I start up a "Rogue's Gallery" right now -- giving you a crafting-corner of sorts to work on your character -- or would you rather wait until you get close to the final drafts? Or do you not have a preference one way or the other?

Ambrus: I'll go with that. I'm a bit leery of doing away with multi-class penalties in general, since I'd rather not encourage min-maxers, but what you propose is fair. :)

Zurai: You can use a dice-rolling program, like Invisible Castle's, and roll percentile dice four times to randomly generate your tiefling abilities. These abilities replace the stock tiefling's special resistances and Darkness ability (although these are possible sults on the table). Let me know your numbers, and I'll tell you what you won. ;) If you don't like the results, you can choose to go back to the "stock" tiefling, as well.
------------

The Forgotten Realms setting could serve well as sphere-of-origin, in part because it's one of the more (if not the most) planes-friendly settings.

Last edited:

Cage-Rattler

First Post
One more thing I thought I'd bring up, because it can be something of a controversial subject:
I have no problems if a player wants to purchase a early-era firearm, so long as they can front the cost, and long as they are available (as they are in, for example, the Forgotten Realms).

Powder weapons have never been a immersion-breaking problem in Planescape for me (maybe because I see it as a steampunk-ish setting), and at least one of TSR's canon NPCs toted a blunderbuss around the Cage. If you can't stand the thought of characters walking around "packing heat", hopefully you'll be able to grit your teeth and bear it. I promise I won't over-use the concept.

If you have any questions about this (as with anything else), don't be afraid to pipe up. :)

Zurai

First Post
Cage-Rattler said:
To those of you who have more experience in this sort of thing than I, would you prefer I start up a "Rogue's Gallery" right now -- giving you a crafting-corner of sorts to work on your character -- or would you rather wait until you get close to the final drafts? Or do you not have a preference one way or the other?

I really have no preference here. I've seen it done both ways.

Zurai: You can use a dice-rolling program, like Invisible Castle's, and roll percentile dice four times to randomly generate your tiefling abilities. These abilities replace the stock tiefling's special resistances and Darkness ability (although these are possible sults on the table). Let me know your numbers, and I'll tell you what you won. ;) If you don't like the results, you can choose to go back to the "stock" tiefling, as well.

1d100=10, 1d100=95, 1d100=38, 1d100=3

What'd I win? :D

Ambrus

Explorer
Zurai said:
I'm fine with FR. I'd have to do a bit of research to figure an appropriate schooling for Cinder, but with how high-power FR is, that won't be too much of a problem.
I was thinking of having my character be from a Thayan (or a Thayan colony) gnomish slave population. I figure it'd also help explain the existence of whisper gnomes in the Forgotten Realms; they're of typical rock gnome ancestry, but generations of insular enslavement at the hands of Thayans has helped create a small but distinct society of paranoid and secretive gnomes who "whisper" plans of escape and revolution.

Thay would also make a good place for your character to have studied magic openly, without being ostracized because of his fiendish heritage. There are plenty of Red wizards to have studied under. Perhaps your character's distant ancestors were amongst the Nar mercenaries who served the great Mulhorandi Empire (of which Thay used to be a part) and who were known to summon and bind demons. It'd also make a good locale for an extraplanar gate.
Cage-Rattler said:
and at least one of TSR's canon NPCs toted a blunderbuss around the Cage.
I'd be curious to know which NPC you're referring to; it doesn't ring any bells off hand.

Last edited:

Remove ads