• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.5e Planescape Game

Awakened

First Post
I'm thinking on playing a Vanaran Spirit Shaman, (Vanara from Oriental Adventures, Spirit Shaman from complete divine). Is that ok?

LordAspen

First Post
By the way I'm getting a ribbing in the game (well deserved at that) from having really no knowledge of the setting except for what I have read in the forums. From my standpoint not knowing anything is actually kind of cool because it helps me play my character as clueless and it makes everything even more interesting but I really don't want to detract from the other players' enjoyment. Would the Manual of the Planes be adequate to familiarize myself a bit? I may try to pick it up. Thanks!

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Why spend money? Go to the story-hour forum and look up Shemeska's Planescape Story Hour (http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77613)... good quality stuff. Its something like 20 pages by now, but well worth it if you can dedicate the time to read it.

You can also drop by www.planewalker.com. They are working on converting the Planescape setting to 3rd edition DnD.

If you have to buy something, then I suggest the Planescape Boxed Set. It's 2nd edition rules, but all the setting stuff you'll need is there. Manual of the Planes was a waste of money in my opinion. Check out some reviews of the book before purchasing it.

You might also check out the computer game, Planescape: Torment. The graphics are REALLY out of date, but it really is one of the best computer RPG's I've ever played.

Boddynock

First Post
LordAspen said:
By the way I'm getting a ribbing in the game (well deserved at that) from having really no knowledge of the setting except for what I have read in the forums. From my standpoint not knowing anything is actually kind of cool because it helps me play my character as clueless and it makes everything even more interesting but I really don't want to detract from the other players' enjoyment.
LordA, don't let us bashers get under your skin! ;)

I've got another character in Eluvan's "Of Wealth & Taste" pbp who is clueless, and it's great because I don't have to worry about whether or not I know something my character would. I've read a few of the Planescape books but I've never played before, so there are glaring holes in my knowledge of the setting - The803's reference to the World Serpent is a case in point. The name is certainly familiar, but I have no information to attach to it. Hence my OOC comment in the story thread. :)

Actually, it's a lot of fun playing my clueless character - I'm particularly enjoying the way that his use of language evolves over time. He's not slow, so he's picking up the planar cant as he goes along. I find myself thinking, "Hmm, has he heard that word before? Yeah, great - now how does he use it?"

The other thing to remember, of course, is that planar characters have an automatic clueless alarm - and they love to pity the poor sods who know nothing about the way the multiverse really works! No, really - Rhys is performing an important sociological function for the jaded residents of the Cage! :lol:

As to a source, I would agree with Lobo - get the original boxed set. It's available as a PDF download from a couple of sites. Even if you read Shemeska's story, still get the boxed set - it's the artwork for me which really defines the feel of the setting. Tony DiTerlizzi's pictures are absolutely fantastic!

'Nock

The803

First Post
A vanara spirit shaman will work, Awakened; that's actually a favorite race of mine. Assume that your character stumbled into The Outlands and then Sigil from the Spirit World and is a native of that plane (which overlaps with the Outlands in so many places that a lot of planars think of them as the same place.)

Also, I think the original boxed set is the most helpful, and there are tons of good sites out there that will tell you everything you need to know. www.mimir.net was always a fave of mine. Winging it is also fine; part of the point of planescape is exploring reality.

IMPORTANT: Consider anything that you read elsewhere, including canon material, to be something your character has only heard about. If you find something (a place, a creature, etc.) that you want in the game, put a link to it here and I'll go check it out and decide whether it's something I want in the game and what hoops (if any) you'll have to jump through to find it.

The multiverse is yours to build.

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
Lobo Lurker said:
"Wha...!"

"Oh, pardon me."

"'scuse me didn't mean to tread on your tentacle."

"Er... yeah sorry."

"Rhys! Stop gawking!"

"By the undying legions of Ysgard, where in the nine hells has that halfling gotten to?"

"Come ON Rhys! Who care's if it's got a tree growing out of it's back?"

"Oh! Up there, c'mon Rhys we can catch him!"
Oh, you are good, Lobo - you are very good! :lol:

'Nock

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Hi All,

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this but here goes: www.gogamer.com is having a sale on Planescape: Torment only $2.90 for it and someother game I've never heard of.

Lots of Planescape lovin' in that game. :lol:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads