• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 3.75E or 4E?

3.75E or 4E?

• Think 3.75E, Hope for 3.75E

Votes: 76 25.1%
  • Think 3.75E, Hope for 4E

Votes: 30 9.9%
  • Think 4E, Hope for 4E

Votes: 74 24.4%
  • Think 4E, Hope for 3.75E

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • Hope for Neither, 3.5E to Infinity and Beyond

Votes: 90 29.7%

Marnak

First Post
My question: which do you think is the more likely next announcment from Wizards of the Coast: 3.75E or 4E? And, regardless of which one you think is coming, which one are you hoping for?

I should add that I am defining these two as follows:

3.75E: Slight updating of current rules, similar to changes from 3E to 3.5E
4e: More significant rules revision, similar to 2E to 3E switch

Last edited:

pedr

Explorer
I've not posted in a 4E thread before, I don't think, but I was thinking about this this morning. 2E to 3E was such a major change of everything, and a much-needed complete overhawl of a system which many thought overly complex and full of very contradictory parts. It made sense to start afresh with a blank slate and build from the ground up again (forgive the over-use of imagery!!)

I don't think that 3.5E is anywhere near that level of contradiction and 'mess'. The essentials work well, and most of the add-ons have been complimentary to the core idea. So a complete re-write, which would make all of the 3.5E expansion books pretty useless in the way that the Player Option books are pretty useless for 3E would, I think be a big gamble on WotC's part. People were very keen to see a fresh new edition when 3E was launched. People are, relatively, happy with 3.5 from what I can tell.

Now this doesn't mean that there isn't significant tidying up to do. Possibly more significant than 3.0 to 3.5, more like 1E to 2E (though I wasn't around then so can't really comment). One change I think I'd like to see - and it's one which I don't believe would be too revolutionary, even if it sounds it - would be to change the skills system from a flat probability to a normal distribution (if those are the right terms). Something akin to the 3d6 system in Unearthed Arcana, or even something as simple as replacing the d20 system with a 2d10 one. But that's just me, and that's the biggest change I think I'd seriously advocate - and it's one which wouldn't fundamentally invalidate much that had already been designed and published.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I am hoping for 4E, and I think it will be 4E. Wizards has obviously been experimenting with different ideas in the last couple of years (warlock, reserve feats, multiclassing feats, dual prestige calsses) and such, and IMHO, getting a lot better at it.

I think it is time for wizards to keep the D&D name, keep the history, but redo most of hte rules. For them it is a smart idea. Then they can rewrite all the fluff into the new ruleset like they did from 2E and 3.x.

I personally, wnatto see soemthign new. No need for 3.75

Marnak

First Post
My Vote and Thoughts

I voted for "Think 3.75E, Hope for 3.75E," but I do think there is a decent chance that we will go straight to 4E. I am fairly happy with 3.5E right now, but I wouldn't mind an updating of the core rules, incorporating some of the best ideas from the non-core books, tweaking some things for balance purposes, and of course fixing problems identified in the errata. I also understand that WoTC is a company that needs to make money and that it is unrealistic to expect the company to NOT make some kind of update or revision to the core rules every so often. I am not excited about a major revision at this point, and it seems from the early poll results that most folks are also not looking forward to a major change.

Related question: what kinds of changes would you like to see in 3.75E? For example, I suggest a slight strengthening of bards, monks, and half-elves and some additional fighter-only feats for high level fighters.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I voted 3.5e forever. I wanted a game that's fun. I wanted a game that allows for good storytelling. And I've got that in 3.5. Why would I want to voluntarily make myself shell out a bunch of money when I honestly don't think what I have is broke?

Part of me hopes for 4e just so I can stop buying WotC resources! :D {I can stop any time I like, but the 3.5 stuff I buy because I like it. When they move beyond 3.5, that'll no longer be true. Or, most-likely no longer be true}.

Nellisir

Hero
pedr said:
I've not posted in a 4E thread before, I don't think, but I was thinking about this this morning. 2E to 3E was such a major change of everything, and a much-needed complete overhawl of a system which many thought overly complex and full of very contradictory parts. It made sense to start afresh with a blank slate and build from the ground up again (forgive the over-use of imagery!!)

I don't think that 3.5E is anywhere near that level of contradiction and 'mess'. The essentials work well, and most of the add-ons have been complimentary to the core idea. So a complete re-write, which would make all of the 3.5E expansion books pretty useless in the way that the Player Option books are pretty useless for 3E would, I think be a big gamble on WotC's part. People were very keen to see a fresh new edition when 3E was launched. People are, relatively, happy with 3.5 from what I can tell.

Now this doesn't mean that there isn't significant tidying up to do. Possibly more significant than 3.0 to 3.5, more like 1E to 2E (though I wasn't around then so can't really comment).

This sums up my viewpoint almost perfectly (I'm happy with skills, though).

"Think 3.75E, Hope for 3.75E." ... although when I say "3.75," I don't mean that I actually care what they call it. They could call it PIth Edition for all I care. The main thing is that the "new" version remains compatable with 3.5E. There are several reasons why a complete over haul was necessary for 3rd edition; the increasing competition from video games, an increasingly contradictory system, and the need for WoTC to make the game their own. I don't see the need for a complete over haul this time around, though. WoTC would be the wiser to just tidy up 3.5, throw out what they have realized doesn't work, concentrate on that which does, and call it 4th edition.

Aus_Snow

First Post
4th edition, some time in the distant future, should be something like '3.75-ish'. That would make me happiest, of all the possible eventualities.

Remove ads