• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.P] Combat umbrella?

ImperatorK

First Post
Is there something like that?
stock-photo-a-colorful-oriental-umbrella-red-on-a-blue-background-9850471.jpg

Greenfield

Adventurer
Well, there's a non-folding version. It isn't made of cloth and paper, obviously.

They call it a "shield". :)

Seriously, perhaps you're thinking of some of the fan weapons you see in martial arts movies. I don't know if OA has something like that, but I'd start there.

Sekhmet

First Post
Treat as a two handed War Fan, 1d10, 20/x3 crit, when the fan is first brought into melee, the wielder may attempt a Bluff check against an opponent's Sense Motive check. If the wielder wins the contest, he adds a +4 bonus to the attack roll for his first round.

ImperatorK

First Post
Seriously, perhaps you're thinking of some of the fan weapons you see in martial arts movies. I don't know if OA has something like that, but I'd start there.
I know there are war fans. But if there are war fans then maybe there are combat umbrellas. If not then I'm going to make one.

Valicore

First Post
I have run an oriental adventure and a character had one of these with a sword hidden in the handle. The only time it was used as a shield was for concealment by hiding and crouching behind it. Ruled that it caused the defender to lose DEX but gained 50% miss chance for total concealment. Did save him from a assassin with a bow, negated a twenty. :)

nijineko

Explorer
there are no official stats that i am aware of. however, it should not be too hard to come up with stats for it. i would suggest a bo staff for starters. concealment is an obvious. damage would not be too high, unless you make it out of more durable material, magically durable, and/or add weapons to it (ie: blades on edges of fan and/or ends of shaft, hollow handle = blow gun, etc...)

Remove ads