• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3 weeks till new Who!

Aeolius

Adventurer
Last Night I watched Doctor Who: The Movie (1996) featuring the 8th Doctor (PaulMcGann). To call it incredibly cheesy would be a compliment.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We have a "prequel" (BBC, you keep using that word - I do not think it means what you think it means).

A bit twee for my tastes.

[video=youtube;2IROtC6cAT4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2IROtC6cAT4[/video]

sabrinathecat

Explorer
The FOX 1996 TV movie was an abomination. Only McCoy and McGann made it remotely tolerable. If you believe the guy behind the project, it was meant to be a completely new series/reboot/parallel universe, but in order to get everyone to play along and back the work, he had to totally compromise his vision. In short, by compromising his integrity, the work lost whatever artistic merit it might have had. The best thing that could have been done with that production would be to treat it like the 1978 Star Wars Christmas special: ignore it. Unfortunately, the BBC liked the idea of McGann taking over, even though they never did anything with it, so he became the official 8th Doctor. On the positive side, Big Finish Productions made a large number of Audio Adventures with McGann, which worked much better.
Funny, BFP has over 170 Doctor Who stories. The original program run was only about 140.
A lot of the staff of NuWho came from BFP. If you haven't done so, check out some of the BFP stories.

One thing NF did that was kinda annoying was to get the 1/2 season backs for series 6--no christmas special (which I heard was actually good), and none of the bonus mini-sodes. And I'm guessing they'll do the same with series 7.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In short, by compromising his integrity, the work lost whatever artistic merit it might have had.

That's a bit of an extreme position, in my opinion. A goodly number of the Who stories prior to McGann's movie were as bad or worse.

A lot of the staff of NuWho came from BFP. If you haven't done so, check out some of the BFP stories.

Note, if you have 't checked out any of the BFP stories, you may not be aware that BFP stands for "Big Finish Productions" - http://www.bigfinish.com/hubs/v/doctor-who

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's a bit of an extreme position, in my opinion. A goodly number of the Who stories prior to McGann's movie were as bad or worse.

Eh, it's sabrinathecat. Everything is an abomination that insults his intelligence.

Remove ads