• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

360 or PS3?

ethandrew

First Post
My wife just recently purchased some expensive purchases, so now I'm cashing in my cards and playing my leverage. So the big question I need to ask is should I get the more affordable 360 or pony up for the PS3? I have a nice tv so I'd like to utilize that, but it's not a necessity.

I've been told that the 360 is a lot better, and the numbers would agree. What is it, like 10 million 360s have been sold whereas less than 2 million PS3s have shipped out? But I can't deny the pull to Sony. I'm not really looking to store extra media on my systems either, no shows or movies or music. Just games.

So, assuming I buy one or the other, what are the must have games for each system?

John Crichton

First Post
Right now, the games are on the 360, no question. But the PS3 stuff is coming soon. I own both.

What kind of TV do you have? Plasma/LCD? Size? Can it view 1080p?

ethandrew

First Post
42" LCD 1080i; no p unfortunately. And the differential between the games is due to the fact that the 360 has been out much longer, isn't it? Or is there more to it that I am unaware?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Most upcoming 3rd party stuff will be on both the 360 and PS3. There are some exclusives (like Mass Effect for the 360), but they are a lot rarer than in the past generation.

You should really look at their 1st party stuff to see which you want.

Anyway, if you get a 360, I would wait a little while for the newer 65nm model (they also come with an HDMI port) which should be a lot more reliable.

Vocenoctum

First Post
There's also the interesting stuff where the PS3 is harder to develop, so some of the PS3 stuff is just worse than the 360 stuff. (FEAR for instance, and a couple others I forget off hand)

Most of the games that are on both systems are pretty close in quality, so you're not losing much there anyway.

PS3 has Bluray.

If you do get a 360, the 65nm chipset would be a good wait, but probably not essential. I would say it's a sure thing you want the HDMI model though (it's listed on the box).

Exclusives depend on what you want to play. Mass Effect, Halo3, Gears of War / Resistance, Lair, Heavenly Sword

stevelabny

Explorer
Just to jump into someone else's thread...

when are the new 65nm 360s hitting shelves?

Mass Effect is really really tempting me, and I'm gonna finally have a TV by then.

drothgery

First Post
stevelabny said:

Looks like they're showing up now. Basically any Premium with an HDMI port (it'll say so on the box) is probably a 65nm model (there are apparently a small number of exceptions, but that was apparently a pretty short run; anything built now is a 65nm model).

Vocenoctum

First Post
stevelabny said:

theoretically they're out, but remember that availability depends on the rotation of stock and such.

From joystiq, it seems the info you want is right on the box;

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/10/spot-the-hdmi-enabled-xbox-360-premium-at-retail/

Mass Effect is really really tempting me, and I'm gonna finally have a TV by then.

and, joystiq again;
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/10/watch-a-delicious-15-minute-mass-effect-preview/

usdmw

First Post
LCDs can't display 1080i. In fact, only CRTs can display 1080i. Now, most LCDs, DLPs and Plasma's can ACCEPT 1080i, but they will only (and CAN only) display at their native resolution and refresh rate.

John Crichton

First Post
ethandrew said:
42" LCD 1080i; no p unfortunately.
Ah, not a big deal that there is no 1080p on that model. You wouldn't even be able to tell the difference until you get to a 50 inch screen. Bottom line: You are good to go!

ethandrew said:
And the differential between the games is due to the fact that the 360 has been out much longer, isn't it? Or is there more to it that I am unaware?
That is the biggest reason, but there are other factors as you would expect.

Either way, I agree with Vocenoctum - go with the exclusives and see what is coming out down the line. History will point towards the PS3 getting a better variety in the long run but that isn't confirmed. If you are buying a system for right now just for games get the 360. But, if you want to watch Blu-Ray movies and like games like the jPRG genre go with the PS3. That said, what kind of games do you like? That's a big factor as well because the 360 has an excellent selection of FPS & racing games, with more on the way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads