D&D 3E/3.5 3e beginnings (why first impressions are not always the right ones)

Satori

First Post
Unlimited spell casting every round?

Rogue Sneak Attack damage...but no need to flank?

Damage Resistance? Regeneration?

ZOMG WARLOCKS ARE TEH BRKENZ!

The_Gneech

Explorer
I remember thinking that a sorcerer/wizard would have a sick number of spells and be super-powerful. And also that fighter/wizard would actually be a viable combination.

On the other hand, I also thought the ranger really needed another pass -- and apparently the designers agreed with me on that one. :)

-The Gneech :cool:

outsider

First Post
I think alot of those failed assumptions are related to the fact that most people associate having alot of powers with being powerful. Having alot of powers -CAN- lead to power, but you have to compare those options to what other characters are capable of doing. I suspect we'll see alot of these assumptions in 4th edition as well, and we'll probably see alot of people just write the entire system off as 'munchkin' due to the greater amount of powers and such most characters seem like they'll be getting in comparison to earlier editions.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
3d6 said:
What? Everyone has access to thief skills? Who's going to play a "rogue" (?) now?

Whoa! The monk is awesome!

Oh, man, I'm going to play a human fighter so I can get Whirlwind Attack at 4th level! Awesome!

Oh yeah I definitely remember thinking that whirlwind attack was the most awesome thing ever and broken.

Remove ads