• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3E/Pathfinder Conversion of the Vampire Bestiary

Khisanth the Ancient said:
OK, I have sent you the last Wendigo.

Thanks Khisanth amigo.

Should I start on Vampire Monsters or is someone else doing those?

I'm afraid its just us at this point. So by all means work away. Although take your time, since I still need to get Temple of Death and Castle Dracula done.

I am off work for 2 weeks after tonight (although I go for Laser Eye Surgery in 10 days time), so I will try my best to get Temple of Death finished in that time.

Also, on the subject of Mythic Adventures – do you think you will make Eternity Publishing material that's compatible with it?

I think its too early to say. Until I know more about it there is no point speculating.

The only thing I will say at this stage is I will definitely buy Mythic Adventures and also 5th Edition D&D. But I don't know whether I will be working specifically on those rules yet.

I much prefer 4E but I am a bit deflated by how little support (and enthusiasm) it gets. I made a massive mistake not doing Epic 4E material right from the start and even though I think the Vampire Bestiary is a better overall product I see now that there is little market for it. Of course the original idea was that the Vampire Bestiary would just be a sort of practice run on 4E before epic, but it takes me so long getting this stuff finished that I have totally made a hash of all my plans.

Before I commit to any new projects I'll really need to have a better plan in place.

Just us? Wow, that will take a long time - thought other people were doing Vampire Monsters and stuff...

Honestly I think PF is likely to be supported longer than anything from WotC...

Hey amigo! :)

Just us? Wow, that will take a long time - thought other people were doing Vampire Monsters and stuff...

I think someone else initially offered to do the Vampire Monsters but that sort of fell through.

Like I said, take your time, I will try my best to get Temple of Death finished within the next 2 weeks and then put all my effort into Castle Dracula. After that I'll finish off my Cannibal/Animal Conversions.

Honestly I think PF is likely to be supported longer than anything from WotC...

Almost certainly. I'm still skeptical about 5E as well - but I suppose time will tell.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I think someone else initially offered to do the Vampire Monsters but that sort of fell through.

*sigh* That was me.

I initially offered to convert the cannibals section of the book to Pathfinder, but it simply never materialized, which was completely my own fault. A number of real life issues popped up (some of which I'm still dealing with), and add into that a few other Pathfinder projects which I've also taken on (some for money, some not) meant that this one completely dropped off the radar.

I'd still like to do it, but unfortunately there just aren't enough hours in the day - nor do I have enough energy - to get it done on any real time-scale.

Mea culpa, guys.

That said, I'd be happy to edit anything you convert. ;)

Alzrius said:
*sigh* That was me.

I initially offered to convert the cannibals section of the book to Pathfinder, but it simply never materialized, which was completely my own fault. A number of real life issues popped up (some of which I'm still dealing with), and add into that a few other Pathfinder projects which I've also taken on (some for money, some not) meant that this one completely dropped off the radar.

I'd still like to do it, but unfortunately there just aren't enough hours in the day - nor do I have enough energy - to get it done on any real time-scale.

Mea culpa, guys.

Don't worry about it amigo. ;)

I know what its like not having enough hours (or energy) in the day.

That said, I'd be happy to edit anything you convert. ;)

I'll hold you to that since I am useless with these 3E based shenanigans now. :eek:

hey there Khisanth! :)

I'm not sure what will need to happen with the Dire Crocodile... that many powers on an animal just doesn't make sense in 3.X terms. I'm not sure what can be done to make it sufficiently distinct from the existing PF Dire Crocodile.

I know, its a weird situation.

For 4E it makes a really cool Boss Monster but for 3E/PF its I suspect players will think "Meh...its just a big crocodile".

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
For 4E it makes a really cool Boss Monster but for 3E/PF its I suspect players will think "Meh...its just a big crocodile".

The nice thing about unique individual monsters is that, despite what the rules would have you believe, you can alter them; you typically just need to call out doing so (e.g. by putting "unique" in its creature type entry, or giving it an Extraoardinary ability, etc.). I strongly recommend using Trailblazer for that sort of thing, it's section on modifying monsters (which is ironically based off of U_K's own CR system) is quite helpful.

I'm also wondering about the Adze Swarms.

The Lightning Bug and Thunder Hornet Adze Swarms are (4E) Level 6 and Level 11. Originally I was thinking they should convert to ~ (3.X/PF) CR 5-6 and 9-11 (which is what I sent you).

But if the CR 11 Thunder Wendigo Behemoth is "summoning" 3 CR 10 Thunder Hornet Adze Swarms - that's more XP value than the Wendigo itself. And summoned creatures don't grant XP.

So... either we should

1) greatly weaken the Adze Swarms (maybe CR3-4 for Lightning Bug and 5-6 for Thunder Hornet)
2) put in a special exception that "symbiotic" Adze Swarms DO grant XP separate from the Wendigo "host"

What do you think?

Howdy! :)

Alzrius said:
The nice thing about unique individual monsters is that, despite what the rules would have you believe, you can alter them; you typically just need to call out doing so (e.g. by putting "unique" in its creature type entry, or giving it an Extraoardinary ability, etc.).

Always thought that was what Templates were for.

I strongly recommend using Trailblazer for that sort of thing, it's section on modifying monsters (which is ironically based off of U_K's own CR system) is quite helpful.

Nice to know I am still good for something. :p

Remove ads