• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3rd Level Paladin

Corlon

First Post
Giving yourself 14 Dex makes it annoying to get a fullplate, as you are basically negating 2 points of dexterity, so I'd aim for a mithril breastplate later in life, but at the current point go with the other suggestions and get a lower armor class, perhaps with a +1 or mithril.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Thanee said:
@Infiniti2000: Why mithril chain shirt? Isn't that pretty much pointless for a paladin?
I don't agree, but it's dependent upon desire/experience. Personally, I'd prefer the +10ft of movement, lower cost, and lighter load. I find that medium armor generally sucks too much to even consider. If you want to really squeeze out every AC point, however, it might be worth it, but not for the long haul. That's my take on it anyway. :)

seans23

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
I don't agree, but it's dependent upon desire/experience. Personally, I'd prefer the +10ft of movement, lower cost, and lighter load. I find that medium armor generally sucks too much to even consider. If you want to really squeeze out every AC point, however, it might be worth it, but not for the long haul. That's my take on it anyway. :)

What does it matter if you're slowed down by armor if you're riding on a mount? (might be difficult underground, I know)

Take a few skill points in craft armor, and save some money by making your own. Then later on when you have the cash you can make some nice mithril breastplate for yourself.

Thanee

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
I don't agree, but it's dependent upon desire/experience. Personally, I'd prefer the +10ft of movement, lower cost, and lighter load. I find that medium armor generally sucks too much to even consider.

Uhm... chain shirt is *light* armor! :p

And how exactly does mithril lower the cost!? :eek:

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
Thanee said:
Uhm... chain shirt is *light* armor! :p
Right. That's why I mentioned chain shirt and you mentioned chainmail. I was saying that a chain shirt is better than chainmail or other medium armors. ;)

Thanee said:
And how exactly does mithril lower the cost!? :eek:
Well, obviously, I don't mean make it mithril to lower the cost, but the chain shirt is a lower cost than medium armors and better. Then, now that you plain to get a chain shirt, get a mithril one.

I hope that clarifies my point. :)

Thanee

First Post
Aha! Well, when I asked above, if a mithril shirt isn't kinda pointless, I meant the mithril specifically, i.e. as compared to a normal chain shirt. :D

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
Thanee said:
Aha! Well, when I asked above, if a mithril shirt isn't kinda pointless, I meant the mithril specifically, i.e. as compared to a normal chain shirt. :D
Mithril helps in a lot of ways, but I agree that for this character it might not be worthwhile (since the OP said he wants to maximize AC). Getting +1 chain shirt would be better than non-magical mithril. But then, you could never change that chain shirt into mithril at a later point. :)

For pure AC, he should get breast-plate and a +1 heavy shield (or tower shield).

Remove ads