• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 4/26 Playtest: The Sorceror

Sorcery Incarnate should not be consentration spells. They over use the consentration mechanic IMHO.
Sorcery Incarnate itself is not worth the concentration, but I get the feeling it was intended to stack with the level 14 subclass feature, so they might have made it concentration for the sake of what they'd be adding there for the various subclasses. Dragon Wing does not live up to what would be needed for it to be worth it, though.

The special sauce for sorcerers should really come in the subclasses. Those should be a good bit more different from each other than wizard subclasses, in my opinion. So it's hard to judge the sorc until we've seen more on that front.

The new draconic sorcerer is a nice start, however. It's much improved from the original.

Flavor of the 2024 Sorcerer seems very similar to the 13th Age Sorcerer -- an emphasis on magic as a chaotic, destructive force. Which is fine. But not necessarily what I wanted. I'd like the Sorcerer to be more about maximizing the effectiveness of a small, thematic spell list. I realized in my 1-20 level 5E campaign that the Shadow Sorcerer could not cast shadow or darkness themed spells -- because there aren't any on the Sorcerer spell list. So, so lame. I was really hoping that the 2024 Sorcerer would fix that, so you can play as the ultimate shadow caster, ice wizard, fire mage, and so forth. Seems unlikely now.

Last edited:

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
Flavor of the 2024 Sorcerer seems very similar to the 13th Age Sorcerer -- an emphasis on magic as a chaotic, destructive force. Which is fine. But not necessarily what I wanted. I'd like the Sorcerer to be more about maximizing the effectiveness of a small, thematic spell list. I realized in my 1-20 level 5E campaign that the Shadow Sorcerer could not cast shadow or darkness themed spells -- because there aren't any on the Sorcerer spell list. So, so lame. I was really hoping that the 2024 Sorcerer would fix that, so you can play as the ultimate shadow caster, ice wizard, fire mage, and so forth. Seems unlikely now.
There spell list is now all arcane spells so that should open them up to a wide variety of thematic spells.

Question for those following the Sorcerous Burst math:

The spell description indicates that your exploding dice total (up to your Cha mod) gets added to the base damage of the spell, which of course starts with 1d6. However, while I was reading it as exploding per die, it could also be read as exploding as per cast.

In other words, at 1st level I roll 1d6 base, and could get up to an extra 3d6 of exploding dice. However at 5th level, I get 2d6 base, and could either get 4d6 exploding dice per die, for a theoretical max of 10d6, or only 4d6 exploding dice for the entire cast, for a theoretical max of 6d6.

In your opinion, which is the correct reading? The latter seems more reasonable from a game balance perspective, but I'm not able to program it in Anydice, so it's hard to know what the actual quantitative difference is.

Remove ads