• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E Adventure Tools a blast

Haltherrion

First Post
We moved to 4E about six months ago (some of you might recall my request for insight at that time :)), anyway, it has worked out very well. The group likes the tactical play of the game and the character classes. No regrets moving from 3.5

Specifically, as a comment, I have to confess I *really* have come to like the Monster Builder part of the Adventure Tools. I always liked making creatures for a scenario but between 4E's more rational, regular structure and the Adventure Tools software, it's a blast modifying and creating monsters for use in my campaign. It is much easier to make a level appropriate creature and the wealth of material and powers makes it easy to come up with something interesting.

I spend more time on 4E prep but that is mostly because I have so much fun creating and browsing monsters. It is true that even if I didn't create monster, I would be spending more time but that has more to do with the tool making a huge range of creatures and creature variants available (most of which, even if I had all the source material, I would want gathered in one place).

Anyone else having fun with adventure tools?

Mercurius

Legend
Monster Builder is very useful and saves a lot of time in terms of nitty-gritty prep. In particular, I love how you can adjust the level of a monster to fit your needs, or easily just create a new monster. I do wish it included some fluff, even pictures.

Of course MB is the only Adventure Tool at this point, so we're still waiting for more. I'd love to see things like Class Builder, Race Builder, Feat Builder, Encounter Design, Adventure Design, etc. For some of that you can check out Masterplan, which I haven't used yet but has received good reviews.

kalfalnal

Explorer
I'm using Masterplan along with the DDI tools and loving them all. Room for improvement everywhere of course but just having these tools as they are has been great compared to flipping through a bunch of books and scribbling in my notebook.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I love the monster builder too - although if they could add some pictures, that would be even more awesome, at least at my table. I'm not sure what the next most useful adventure tool would be for me... hmmm... probably some kind of map builder - either DM map or "battle map" that I could then print out in colour ... yeah that'd be sweet.

mgbeach

Explorer
If it had the fluff and pictures, there would be no reason to buy books.

It would be cool if it allowed for community-created monsters to be accessible to everyone. They could be voted up or down, etc. to let the cream rise to the top. User-generated fluff and pictures for those monsters wouldn't affect book sales, and would be a fun addition to the tool.

badmojojojo

First Post
Anyone else having fun with adventure tools?

Im with you. I havent yet started my campaign but I have been spending time piddling with the monster builder and absolutely love it. Im not sure what is next on the Adventure Tools menu, but the monster builder alone is worth the ddi subscription fee (along with the invaluable character builder).

:D

Remove ads