• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e and revisions to existing products

Urizen

First Post
Another thought that just occured to me is, will we have to update all of our products to reflect compatability with 4e like we did when 3rd was updated to 3.5?

If we don't update, can we keep the existing D20 logo?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Until WotC announces its licensing plans, we don't know. I'm assuming this forum will be pretty dead until then!

Mark Oliva

First Post
Urizen said:
Another thought that just occured to me is, will we have to update all of our products to reflect compatability with 4e like we did when 3rd was updated to 3.5?

Allowing that would be a complete switch of policy to date on WotC's part. If things continue as they have been, you would have to drop the d20 logo from 3.5 PDF products almost immediately, and you would not be allowed to bring out new paper copies of 3.5 products with the d20 logo.

WotC hasn't said how it will handle this with 4E, but if you read the blogs that WotC staffers have been writing, all indications are that the new d20 STL will be more restrictive that the old one, not less restrictive.

Planesdragon

First Post
Urizen said:

Probably. That's why we wrote the Prometheus trademark license. It's OGL-style perpetual; "we" (not me, but the current trademark-holder) can't do anything to stop you from using it if you follow the fairly simple license terms.

If WotC doesn't allow 3e or 3.5e "d20" once 4e comes about, your best bet is to look for another logo that does.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
The current d20 logo will be phased out once 4e comes out, that much they have stated as a definite. So you can keep writing for 3.5, but the d20 logo we all know and love right now is going away next year.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads