[4e] Campaign discussion thread (Full)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hiya y'all!

I've never played paragon or epic tier in 4e. I'd be very interested in trying that out. I've been wanting to play an Eladrin rogue too.

Also, I agree with Shayuri, developing and using character background hooks absolutely rock. I played a high level PBP game for several years (yeah, YEARS!) here on Enworld called heroes inc, and the character backgrounds were nicely done. Ultimately (and rather unfortunately) the party split apart because of philosophical difference between the CG warlock and LG Paladin. The stakes were high, the background hooks were used, and the game experience was terrific. Oh, and this was one of the only PBP games I played in where the player turnover was almost nil (except for the first months).
Good stuff.
Cheers,

SG

nerdytenor

First Post
Hey Sparky.

++ to many of the things said already.

One other thing I'm interested in but haven't achieved yet is a game where there are meaningful conflicts between the PCs that help to drive the story (not like this.) It can be awkward to pull off, since some folks have a tendency of identifying too much with their characters, and I, for one, am not a naturally conflict-seeking person.

This kind of thing would be easier to pull off in PbP, IMO.

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
I would love to put the Dragons back in Dungeons & Dragons. I have played through many dungeons already in 4E, and in some 3.5 games before that, but I haven't experienced many dragon encounters. I would love to find some way to recreate the dragon-riding exploits of the original Dragonlance books, or to somehow build a dragon-based adventure. I don't need to be fighting dragon after dragon, as that might get a bit old, but to have that flavor of draconic influence spread through everything. These are the powerful, dominating life-force in the game, as far as I'm concerned, but they're all but forgotten in most published worlds.

Ooooh, I like it!

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
One other thing I'm interested in but haven't achieved yet is a game where there are meaningful conflicts between the PCs that help to drive the story (not like this.) It can be awkward to pull off, since some folks have a tendency of identifying too much with their characters, and I, for one, am not a naturally conflict-seeking person.

This kind of thing would be easier to pull off in PbP, IMO.

Again, a higher-level campaign where the characters have firmly clarified ideas about their own view of the world could pull this off.

Imagine a game with a Paladin of Pelor and Nature Priest ;). They might both agree that stopping a horde of undead is an absolute must, yet have very meaningful conflicts over how to do it. The Paladin might want to bring in extra-planar assistance, and the NP might view all outsiders equally badly. Inter-party conflict without battle, just good RPing. So long as both players are willing to make a compromise.

I was also thinking that a high level game, possibly with a slowed XP system, might work well for this sort of thing - as it allows long term plans and changes to the campaign world, without worrying too much about the "30 levels of power in a 6 months of adventuring" thing.

Plus, playing Epic means I'd get to use that wonderful "Once a day, when you die..." power.

And yes, for those who have read Sep's SH, that's an example from that game. And a good one.

Sparky

Wow, great responses folks! And you're already exploring each other's ideas - I couldn't ask for more!

I'm going to call recruitment over and get to work on kicking this off.

First I'll answer Atanatotatos (hereafter called Atan):

What are my ideas?
To marry my ideas with yours. So far I'm VERY pleased with the responses, you guys are interested in a lot of the things I'm interested in. So, great! (I was scared I'd get a lot of stuff that didn't resonate at all, but with each of you - no joke - I've said things you've said or built never-seen worlds and never-played adventures centered on elements of what you've described)​

What kind of world?
Homebrew. Definitely homebrew. I'm a nut for world building and the conceit of this whole exercise is about building a world for you the players.​

What sorts of characters?
Not sure yet. That depends on what we're building. I've just had a really good idea, gonna think on it...​

What edition?
4th Edition, currently core books, plus more as I acquire them.​

All right, so. As it stands (I'm picking an choosing elements here as they pique my interest and available books)...

garyh - warforged
Tallarn - eladrin, elf and the feywild (if only because I don't have the APG)
Shayuri - doppelgangers, identity
Redclaw - dragons
Atan - epic, introspection and battle
Evilhalfling - adventure inside a creature
Steve Gorak - paragon or epic tier
nerdytenor - meaningful PC conflict

Shayuri

First Post
Just to clarify, doppelganger/shapechangers yes, but also mixed and/or unusual heritage (fey, outsider, draconic, etc) and explorations of the ramifications of that sort of thing.

Specifics can wait until more setting detail comes out.

Classwise, I like the arcane classes...wizard and warlock. Swordmage looks interesting too, though it's not core.

I also like the rogue and ranger, though part of me wants to wait for the Martial Powers book to come out so I can see what the options there are. I particularly like the new animal companion options and the 'aerialist' rogue, so...hee.

As far as levels go, I would enjoy something with a few levels...advancement is slow in PBP's.

Sparky

Let's tackle this item first: Paragon/Epic PCs

Okay...

I'm a sucker for 1st level starts (I'm also most comfortable with low level stuff), but this is an exercise in 'yes,' so, to reconcile that with Steve Gorak's paragon or epic idea... make 2 PCs. One at 1st level. The second well into the paragon or epic tiers.

The high-level PCs will exist in the past of the 1st level PCs (and are responsible, good and bad, for the current state of affairs).

Potential pitfalls (off the top of my head) - the high level PCs are cooler to play; 16 characters and the attendant plots is a lot to keep up with - thread creeps along because of this.

I'm not terribly worried about keeping up with everything on my end, but pacing could definitely be an issue.

Other pitfalls?

Feedback on the core idea? Run with it? Scrap it? Do a 1st level start with fast level advancement?

PS - Where the devil do Story Hours live any more? I've never read Sepulchrave and I really need to.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
garyh - warforged
Tallarn - eladrin, elf and the feywild (if only because I don't have the APG), epic
Shayuri - doppelgangers, identity
Redclaw - dragons
Atan - epic, introspection and battle
Evilhalfling - adventure inside a creature
Steve Gorak - paragon or epic tier
nerdytenor - meaningful PC conflict

I've added a bit to mine. :)

Obviously, if you're not happy with me playing a Nature Priest, then that's absolutely fine - but I haven't spotted anything in there that is particularly over-the-top.

I'd also like to put in a note that I'd love to have a crack at really getting to grips with rituals (maybe reflavouring some to be more Nature-inspired), if I do get to play a Druid-esque character.

Sparky

Tallarn, run with the Nature Priest if you want. I'm at a disadvantage working with you on it without the book though. That's where any reluctance comes from. :)

Remove ads