[4e] Campaign discussion thread (Full)

Atanatotatos

First Post
Uhmmm... The idea sounds really cool Sparky, but wouldn't 16 characters in two different time spaces drive you crazy?(or drive US crazy, too, for that matter?)
I'd say a low-level start with fast advancement would be a good compromise, would it not?
Also, I have to say that when I said "Epic" i didn't mean character level, but Epic in scope.
...Though I haven't played 4e at higher tiers, either, so I certainly wouldn't mind....

Also, here for Sepulchrave's story hour. WARNING: HIGHLY addicting.

Sparky

Thanks for the link, Atan. The paragon/epic PCs were drawn from Steve Gorak's comments.

In that regard - Steve, would fast PC advancement scratch the itch to get into the higher tiers?

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Collected version of Sepulcrave's SH is here:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/story-hour/58227-tales-wyre-09-23-08-update.html

Happy to try and run two characters, but it might be the sort of thing that causes player drop out. Think I'd be happier with an initial high-XP-rush game, say, slowling down when we hit 10th level, and the Paragon Paths? Would that work?

I'll knock up a Nature Priest over the weekend, or early next week, and post him up here as soon as I can. The main reason I want to play one is that they have an at-will power called Nature's Scream - how cool is that? :)

I've got to leave for the weekend soon, so here's my vote in order of preference:

Start at high level
Start at low-level with fast advancement
Two characters, one at 1st, one at 15th or so. If we do this, I'll probably have the low-level one as a Warlock, if that's OK, and the higher level one as a Nature Priest.

Ooooh, there's an idea. Perhaps the Warlock in the present has made a Fey Pact with the past-times Nature Priest - how does that sound?

Shayuri

First Post
Bah. Somehow Enworld lost my login, and I lost a really good long post.

Here's the summary.

I like the two timelines idea.

They should each have separate threads. The high level game should be in the distant, mythic past. The low level game should feature "reincarnations" of those legendary heroes as they are called to rediscover themselves and again face challenges in the world.

There was more, but that's the gist of it.

That said, I'm fine with fast advancement or whatever too. It's all good.

garyh

First Post
I like the idea of two groups of heroes. It might slow things down, but most of us are in and handle multiple PbP's, so maybe it wouldn't. Fast advancement from Level 1 might be easier.

If we do two games, I'd probably want to try different types of characters in each... warforged in one, half-elf or eladrin or something like that in the other.

Oh, and will you allow the warforged write-up from one of the free Dragon magazines (be sure to use the version from the collected magazine, as it has corrected errata the solo article PDF doesn't)?

Dragon #364 Table of Contents

Oh, and if you are allowing APG stuff (like the Nature Priest) I might be interested in an Orc-Blooded as one of my PC's (the APG take on half-orcs).

Atanatotatos

First Post
I like the two timelines idea.

They should each have separate threads. The high level game should be in the distant, mythic past. The low level game should feature "reincarnations" of those legendary heroes as they are called to rediscover themselves and again face challenges in the world.

Obviously, that's a really cool idea too, if Sparky doesn't mind two 8-players campaigns...

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
the problem with just having fast advancement is that in the three long-term games I have played (6-10months) none has gained 2 levels.
and each only had 2-3 combat encounters, plus a fair amount of RP and story building.

others milage may vary, but a storybuilding game punctuated by 3 combats would make a great arc. hmm I may do a side game this way that is the cusp of Epic lvl 20, moving to level 21.
tell you what leave me as an alternate here, I can come in as a replacement.

Sparky

Ouch, Shayuri. I hate it when that happens.

For some reason, splitting the game into two threads brings the reality of 16 active PCs into focus, I don't really want two large games going. Just one.

However! I'm digging on the idea of reincarnations/pacts/etc... and as part of world-building I'd still like you to make these paragon/epic characters whose actions are responsible for the state of the world and who are foils in one way or another for your 1st level characters.

---

Next item to tackle: Make two PCs, one 1st level and one paragon or higher

For the Ancient PCs... there is a dragon egg, it must be protected/destroyed at all costs.

Remove ads