4e Combat Playtest [FULL]

Annalist

First Post
Just checking to make sure, but is it okay if I use my Wizard even though Victim is also playing a Wizard? Or do you want me to make something else?

Atanatotatos

First Post
Guys, feel free to play whatever you like! Balance in the party is in your interest, but I don't mind. Having two wizards will have its advantages and disadvantages, for me you can all be wizards if you feel like it.
As I was saying to Halford, it'll only make the TPK easier! MWAHAHAHAHAHA
(I was kidding, Half, I swear, kidding!!!)

Leif

Adventurer
Two Wizards is very cool, I think. But, TWO MINOTAURS?? Guess that can be cool, too. :D At least mine will be a fighter and Halford's is a Battle Cleric.

Atanatotatos

First Post
The tough guys make sure to defend the squishier ones! :) Also I suggest tactics talking in the ooc thread, I think it will be needed. It might also be beneficial if each of you states any particular benefit-abiliies his character has or grants to the team before we start so that everyone knows.

Leif

Adventurer
I just want to say how excited I am about this game! What a great idea! Somehow it never even occurred to me to do this before, but I've been wanting to learn all the crunchy details of 4E for a very long time now. And, while I'm thinking about it, we don't have OOC or IC threads yet, do we?? Or have I just missed them?

I'll most likely be doing a Great Weapon Fighter build with my Minotaur. Guess THAT'S a No-Brainer, huh? But I was just a bit disappointed in the damage dealt by large weapons. :( As of this moment, I'm planning to have my guy, Zulkas the Minotaur, use a large maul as his primary weapon. (Other than his horns, of course.)

(Speaking of Horns, would there be a way that Zulkas could get his horns enchanted and made into magical weapons? At usual price plus the price of an adamantine short sword, for having the ends of his horns plated with adamantine?)

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
I just want to say how excited I am about this game! What a great idea! Somehow it never even occurred to me to do this before, but I've been wanting to learn all the crunchy details of 4E for a very long time now. And, while I'm thinking about it, we don't have OOC or IC threads yet, do we?? Or have I just missed them?

I'll most likely be doing a Great Weapon Fighter build with my Minotaur. Guess THAT'S a No-Brainer, huh? But I was just a bit disappointed in the damage dealt by large weapons. :( As of this moment, I'm planning to have my guy, Zulkas the Minotaur, use a large maul as his primary weapon. (Other than his horns, of course.)
Sorry, I'm not in THIS game (yet ;)) but you should really consider this class feature, instead of the +1 to hit with a two-handed weapon:
BATTLERAGER VIGOR
Each time an enemy hits you with a melee or a close attack, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier (after the attack is resolved).

When you gain temporary hit points by hitting with an attack that has the invigorating keyword, those temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you already have.

When wearing light armor or chainmail, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with melee and close weapon attacks whenever you have temporary hit points. This bonus increases to +2 if you’re wielding an axe, a hammer, a mace, or a pick.

Atanatotatos

First Post

(Speaking of Horns, would there be a way that Zulkas could get his horns enchanted and made into magical weapons? At usual price plus the price of an adamantine short sword, for having the ends of his horns plated with adamantine?)

Admittedly, the idea is not mine. There are already two other games like this. But I've been planning to do this for a while... I'm glad you're so enthusiast.
About your minotaur's horns, I suggest you take a look at the minotaur article on Dragon, if you have the possibility. As for enchantments, well, honestly, if this was a campaign, by all means I'd say yes, but since this is a playtest, I'd like to avoid homebrewing. Hope this doesn't disappoint you too much.
Also, yeah, WD is right, if you have Martial Power, Battlerager Vigor is great.

Oh, and, WD, should I keep you in mind as an alt?

Leif

Adventurer
Admittedly, the idea is not mine. There are already two other games like this. But I've been planning to do this for a while... I'm glad you're so enthusiastic.
Doesn't bother me at all that you're not the first. You were the First that I noticed, so YOU DA MAN in my book!
About your minotaur's horns, I suggest you take a look at the minotaur article on Dragon, if you have the possibility. As for enchantments, well, honestly, if this was a campaign, by all means I'd say yes, but since this is a playtest, I'd like to avoid homebrewing. Hope this doesn't disappoint you too much.
That's no problem. I just had that crazy idea on the spur of the moment, and thought that I might as well ask. I'm sure that Zulkas's natural horns will do the job just fine. Oh, and I don't have access to that issue of Dragon, unfortunately. I let my subscription lapse about 15 years ago, and never caught back up. :(
Also, yeah, WD is right, if you have Martial Power, Battlerager Vigor is great.
I'll definitely keep that in mind. I've learned that failing to listen to WD is to invite Great Disaster!

Oh, and, WD, should I keep you in mind as an alt?
Please do so no matter what his answer is! We'll just DRAFT him if we have to!

Remove ads