• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Combat Playtest [FULL]

Victim

First Post
Hmm, that reminds me.

Maybe it would be a good idea for Annalist and I to swap something out for the War Wizardry feat in FRPG. It provides -5 to attack allies, and half damage against them. That would give both of us quite a bit for leeway for dropping spells on the rest of you melee types, or in case in monster with a forced movement (or dominate) effect takes advantage of our zones.

Atanatotatos

First Post
With two (or three, or four!) Evards in operation, I think it might be worthwhile to trade in my Strikebacks for Gauntlets of the Ram. Hmm...

And Ata, that's a Griffon with magical barding. You don't want to be stuck on the ground while some surfer dragon flies around blasting you.

Ah I see. I expected to see the Mounted Combat feat in case of a mount so I didn't get it... But it's alright.
(Not sure how much it'll last though...:angel:)

Redclaw

First Post
Here is Devastation, with a few details yet to be completed
[sblock]Name: Devastation
Male Tiefling Rogue 20 (Tiefling Hellstalker)
Alignment: Unaligned

Medium Humanoid, 5’10” tall, 197 lbs, 23 yrs old
Black hair, Red eyes, Violet skin

Languages: Common, Supernal, Draconic, Goblin
Vision: low-light

Ability Scores

Str: 14 (13 +1 level)
Con: 14 (13 +1 level)
Dex: 22 (17 +6 level)
Int: 13 (10 +2 racial +1 level)
Wis: 10 (9 +1 level)
Cha: 20 (13 +2 racial +5 level)

Basic Combat Stats

Hit Points: 131
Bloodied: 65
Healing Surges: 8
Healing Value: 32

Initiative:+20 (+10 level +6 Dex +4 feat)
Speed: 6 squares (6 Base)
Action Points: 1

Defenses

AC: 32 (10 +10 level +6 Dex +2 armor +4 enhancement)
Fort: 29 (10 +10 level +2 str +5 enhancement +2 feat)
Ref: 35 (10 +10 level +6 Dex +2 Class +2 armor +5 enhancement)
Will: 30 (10 +10 level +5 Cha +5 enhancement)

Modifiers: +7 to AC vs. Opp Att, +2 to AC vs. enemies I have CA against, +1 to all defenses when I have concealment or total concealment

Basic Attacks

Melee: Hit: damage:
Melee: Hit: Damage:
Ranged: Hit: Damage: Range

Weapon Attack Bonuses for use with Powers (ability mods not included)

Melee: +4 Footpad’s Friend Dagger Hit: +18 (+10 level +4 enhancement +3 proficiency +1 RWT) Damage: 1d4+6 (+4 enhancement +2 feat)
Melee: Hit:
Ranged: +3 Jagged Shuriken Hit: (+10 level +3 enhancement +2 proficiency) Damage: 1d6+5 (+3 enhancement +2 feat)

Modifiers: +1 to attack w/light blade and CA, +1 to attack vs. bloodied enemies, +2 damage w/light blade vs. large+ opponents,

[sblock=skills, feats and features]
Passive Skills

Perception 25
Insight 20

Skills

Acrobatics +21 (+10 level +5 trained +6 Dex)
Arcana +11 (+10 level +1 Int)
Athletics +12 (+10 level +2 Str)
Bluff +20 (+10 level +5 Cha +2 racial +3 item)
Diplomacy +18 (+10 level +5 Cha +3 item)
Dungeoneering +15 (+10 level +5 trained +0 Wis)
Endurance +12 (+10 level +2 con)
Heal +10 (+10 level +0 Wis)
History +11 (+10 level +1 Int)
Insight +10 (+10 level +0 Wis)
Intimidate +20 (+10 level +5 trained +5 Cha)
Nature +10 (+10 level +0 Wis)
Perception +15 (+10 level +5 trained +0 Wis)
Religion +11 (+10 level +1 Int)
Stealth +25 (+10 level +5 trained +6 Dex +2 racial +2 item)
Streetwise +15 (+10 level +5 Cha)
Thievery +21 (+10 level +5 trained +6 Dex)

Feats
Backstabber (1st)
Nimble Blade (2nd)
Defensive Mobility (4th)
Improved Initiative (6th)
Slaying Action (8th)
Weapon Focus (light blades) (10th)
Danger Sense (11th)
Defensive Advantage (12th)
Great Fortitude (14th)
Bleeding Backstab (16th)
Light Blade Precision (18th)
Fiery Rebuke (20th)

Racial Traits and Powers
Bloodhunt: You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls against bloodied foes
Fire Resistance: Resist Fire 15
Infernal Wrath

Class Features
First Strike: CA vs. opponents who haven’t acted yet in the encounter
Rogue Tactics: Artful Dodger--+5 AC vs. opp. Attacks
Rogue Weapon Talent: +1 on attack rolls with daggers, shuriken deal 1d6 damage
Sneak Attack: +3d8 (+5 with footpad's friend)
Hell's Shadows: When you have concealment or total concealment, you gain a +1 bonus to all defenses.
Hellstalker Action: You can spend an action point to gain concealment until the end of your next turn, instead of taking an extra action.
Gloom Wrath: Your infernal wrath racial power also grants combat advantage to you for your next attack roll against an enemy that hit you since your last turn.[/sblock]

[sblock=Powers]
At Will Powers
Disheartening Strike—Standard Action, Melee or Ranged Weapon (Rattling): Dex vs. AC, 1[W]+6 damage

Sly Flourish—Standard Action, Melee or Ranged Weapon: Dex vs. AC, 1[W]+11 damage

Encounter Powers
Infernal Wrath—Minor Action, Personal: +1 bonus to attack roll vs. enemy who hit you since your last turn. If you hit, add +5 damage.
From the Shadows—Standard Action, Melee or Ranged Weapon: Before the Attack, you can shift 6 squares. If the target could not see you before the shift, you gain combat advantage for this attack. Dex vs. AC, 1[W] +6 damage and you can shift 6 squares. If you have any cover or concealment after this shift, you can make a Stealth check as a free action.
Dimming Blow—Standard Action, Melee or Ranged Weapon: Dex vs. Reflex, 2[W]+6 damage, and you become invisible to the target until the end of your next turn.
Fool’s Opportunity—Standard Action, Melee Weapon: Dex vs. Will, the target takes damage as if it had been hit by its own melee basic attack. If you have CA vs. the target, you can deal sneak attack damage.
Hounding Strike—Standard Action, Melee or Ranged weapon: Dex vs. Will, 3[W]+6. Until the end of your next turn, you gain combat advantage against the target and a +5 power bonus to all defenses against its attacks.

Daily Powers
Agonizing Shot—Standard Action, Ranged Weapon: Dex vs. Ref, 1[W]+6 damage, and the target is slowed and takes ongoing 15 damage (save ends both.) Aftereffect: target is slowed and takes ongoing 10 damage (save ends both.) Miss: Half damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).
Finish It—Standard Action, Melee Weapon (target must be bloodied): Dex vs. AC, 3[W]+6 damage, and ongoing 10 damage. The ongoing damage lasts until the creature is no longer bloodied. Miss: half damage, and no ongoing damage.
Blood Squall—Standard Action, Close Burst 1(each enemy): Dex vs. AC, 2[W]+6 damage, and ongoing 15 damage (save eneds). Miss: Half damage, and no ongoing damage.
Blackfire Wind—Standard Action, Close Burst 1 (each enemy): Dex vs. Ref, 2[W]+6 damage, and ongoing 15 damage (save ends.) Effect: You are invisible to the targets until the end of your next turn.

Utility Powers
Fleeting Ghost (At-Will)—Move Action, Personal: You can move your speed and make a stealth check. You do not take the normal penalty from movement on this check.
Fortuitous Dodge (Daily)—Immediate Reaction, Melee 1: Trigger: A melee or ranged attack misses you. Target: One creature other than the attacker. Effect: the target is also targeted by the triggering attack. You can then shift 1 square.
Close Quarters (Daily)—Move Action, Personal: Move into the space of an adjacent large or larger creature. It gets its usual opportunity attack against you as you leave an adjacent square. You gain combat advantage against the creature, and it takes a -4 penalty to attack rolls against you. When the creature moves, you move along with it, stayi8ng in the same portion of the creature’s space. The creature can make a strength or dexterity vs. reflex attack (as a standard action with no penalty) to slide you into an adjacent square and end the effect.
Devil’s Sight (Daily)—Minor Action, Personal: Until the end of the encounter, you gain darkvision and the ability to perceive invisible creatures and objects as if they were visible.
Hide In Plain Sight (Encounter)—Minor Action, Personal: You must already be hidden. You are invisible until you leave your current square. No other action that you perform makes you visible.
[/sblock]

Rituals

[sblock=Equipment]

+4 Footpad’s Friend Dagger: Crit +4d6, Property: When you hit with this weapon and deal sneak attack damage, add your charisma modifier to the damage roll. (20th level)
+4 Snakeskin Armor of Night: Resist 10 Radiant. Power (encounter): Minor Action, until the end of your next turn, you gain concealment, and no creatures can make opportunity attacks against you. (19th level)
Amulet of Protection +5 (21st level)
Flaying Gloves (14th—21,000): Power (Daily): Free Action--Use this power when you hit with a light blade melee attack and have combat advantage against the target. That attack deals an extra ongoing 5 damage (save ends). If the attack already deals ongoing damage, this power has no effect.
Boots of the Fencing Master (7th—2,600): When you shift, gain a +1 item bonus to AC and Reflex uteoynt. Power (encounter): Minor Action—shift 2 squares.
Flame Bracers (13th—17,000): When you score a critical hit with a melee attack, deal an extra 1d10 fire damage. Power (daily): Minor Action—Your next weapon attack before the end of your next round deals an extra 1d6 fire damage.
Ring of Shadow Travel (15th—25,000): Gain a +2 item bonus to stealth checks. Power (daily): Move action—teleport 4 squares. If the space you teleport from is not brightly lit, teleport 8 squares. You can not teleport into a brightly lit space. If you have reached at least one milestone today, double all teleporting distances.
Baldric of Tactical Positioning (8th—3,400): Power (Encounter): Minor Action—Choose one square adjacent to you. That square counts as an ally for the purpose of flanking until the end of your next turn.
Skeleton Key (10th—5,000): Power (daily): Standard action—when you touch the key to a locked door, chest, gate or other object, make a thievery check with a +20 bonus against the DC required to open the lock.
+3 Jagged Shuriken (12th—13,000) Crit—Ongoing 10 damage. This weapon scores critical hits on a 19 or 20.
Gem of Colloquy (12th--13,000) Gain a +3 item bonus to bluff and diplomacy checks. You understand and speak Draconic and Goblin.
Pouch of Frozen Passage (9th--4,200) Power (daily): Standard Action--you fling ice crystals from the pouch onto an area of open liquid, freezing up to 20 contiguous squares of the liquid's surface. The frozen surface is normal terrain and can support the weight of up to 20 medium creatures, 5 large creatures, or 1 huge creature. It lasts for 4 hours.
Potion of Vitality (15th--1,000) Power (Consumable): Minor Action--drink the potion and spend a healing surge. Instead of gaining your normal surge value, regain 25 hit points and make an immediate saving throw against one effect.
Potion of Mimicry (17th--2600) Power (Consumable): Minor Action--Drink the potion and spend a healing surge. YOu do not gain hit points as normal. Instead, you alter your appearance through illusion, appearing as a specific humanoid creature within your line of sight. You also gain the creature's attire, mannerisms, voice and speech patterns. This effect lasts for 5 minutes or until you dismiss it (a free action). You gain a +10 power bonus to bluff checks to pass yourself off as the creature you're imitating.
Coins- 200gp, 0sp, 0cp[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Annalist

First Post
"You can choose to move the fewer squares or not to move it at all."
Good to know! Though I still enjoy seeing people get knocked through the air regardless of whether they're friend or foe. :angel:

Maybe it would be a good idea for Annalist and I to swap something out for the War Wizardry feat in FRPG. It provides -5 to attack allies, and half damage against them.
Lol, sounds tailor made for me! I will also take it. Too bad the -5 isn't -10 instead, 'cause with my luck I'll still hit the good guys. Sorry!

Atanatotatos

First Post
Alright, I opened a Character thread here.
Please post your characters, complete with equipment. Double-check them, please.
Hopefully, if everyone has statted his character, we'll be able to start on Monday!

Victim

First Post
Lief, Improved Initiative and Quickdraw are both feat bonuses and don't stack.

With +4 armor, you have masterwork for more AC.

Your skills don't have your level bonus or armor penalties.

Fort Defense is missing its class bonus.

You have Thunder Hammer and Deep Gash, but no fighter powers that inflict those conditions. Deep Gash would work on your Flaming weapon power though.

You picked Plate Armor, without plate proficiency.

You haven't spent your money.

Considering the premise of the game (difficult combat encounters), some of your choices seem a little suspect. For instance, no Hammer Rhythm.

Last edited:

Atanatotatos

First Post
Exceptionally fast check, Victim! Thanks.
Now, first of all, I won't consider the stats definitive till they're posted in the RG thread, so I didn't mind the incomplete equipments or numbers.
Also, I'm not looking for min-maxers, 'cause otherwise I'd have written so in the recruitment. Despite that, it is advisable to look for efficiency. And Victim gave some good advices.
Leif, I don't mind if that is the character you want to play, but, considering these characters will only be involved in combat (no skill challenges, no meaningful roleplay except flavor text...), don't you think it's best for a fighter to concentrate on combat stats? Especially Strenght, a 20 is not much for your primary stat at 20th lvl... Are you sure you want to invest so heavily on mental stats?
Consider these friendly advices, build your character the way you like best.

Remove ads