• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Combat Playtest [FULL]

Leif

Adventurer
Sorry, I'm not in THIS game (yet ;)) but you should really consider this class feature, instead of the +1 to hit with a two-handed weapon:
BATTLERAGER VIGOR
Each time an enemy hits you with a melee or a close attack, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier (after the attack is resolved).

When you gain temporary hit points by hitting with an attack that has the invigorating keyword, those temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you already have.

When wearing light armor or chainmail, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with melee and close weapon attacks whenever you have temporary hit points. This bonus increases to +2 if you’re wielding an axe, a hammer, a mace, or a pick.
Aren't these the names of Weapon Types and not specific weapons? So, doesn't a Maul count as a Hammer for these purposes?

Victim

First Post
Just checking to make sure, but is it okay if I use my Wizard even though Victim is also playing a Wizard? Or do you want me to make something else?

I've actually been wanting to try out a controller heavy party.

We can slap down an Evard's in every encounter if we want to (two normally, I can reuse with Veteran's, and you might be able to get it back with Spellstorm)! And then Thunderwave/Spectral Ram monsters back into it.

So what's our party look like?

Wizard (me)
Wizard (Annalist)
Fighter (HH)
Fighter (lief)
Hellstalker (Redclaw... )
Warlord (Nac)
Cleric (Halford)

???

Looks like HH, with his shield and multitude of close attacks is our primary tanking guy. Lief and Redclaw, probably with Halford's cleric to Righteous Brand big attacks, should be focusing on quickly eliminating enemies, especially those away from the main group or bad zones.

Atanatotatos

First Post
You're seven eh? I'll have to up the encounter a bit then... designed them for 6.
Well... you'll be needing those tactics... there are some brutal critters at those levels :-S

Victim

First Post
You're seven eh? I'll have to up the encounter a bit then... designed them for 6.
Well... you'll be needing those tactics... there are some brutal critters at those levels :-S

Well, not everyone who expresses interest necessarily finishes a character in timely fashion...

And yeah. If I were doing another KK encounter, I'd do it at around 19 or 20 to test out the higher dailies. There are a lot of nasty low/mid epic creatures that can be nasty bosses, especially with a little modification.

Leif

Adventurer
All right, you've caught my interest despite my overdrawn schedule. How about a Tiefling Hellstalker? I haven't seen a striker suggested yet. :cool:
I thought that I had at least glanced over every 4E book that's come out, but "Hellstalker"? That's a new one on me. How did I miss that???

Annalist

First Post
Not to alarm anyone, but I'm not exactly the best tactician in the world, so if I accidentally blow you up then I apologize in advance. :eek::eek: But hopefully I can follow Victim's more experienced lead and figure out where best to toss my spells. :D

So if you find your character knocked back into a patch of black tentacles or into a burning wall of fire or something, it's probably just because of me. Oops, my bad. But I swear I'm not secretly working for the bad guys. No, really. :angel:

Victim

First Post
Not to alarm anyone, but I'm not exactly the best tactician in the world, so if I accidentally blow you up then I apologize in advance. :eek::eek: But hopefully I can follow Victim's more experienced lead and figure out where best to toss my spells. :D

So if you find your character knocked back into a patch of black tentacles or into a burning wall of fire or something, it's probably just because of me. Oops, my bad. But I swear I'm not secretly working for the bad guys. No, really. :angel:

Yeah, but we can fix that in advance; check out PHB 285 under Distance in Squares:

"You can choose to move the fewer squares or not to move it at all."

So even if our Thunderwaves are doing friendly fire damage, we can still avoid tossing allies into tentacles. Or we can move them just enough to achieve some other objective - of course, that movement had better be worth the damage!.

Hammerhead

Explorer
With two (or three, or four!) Evards in operation, I think it might be worthwhile to trade in my Strikebacks for Gauntlets of the Ram. Hmm...

And Ata, that's a Griffon with magical barding. You don't want to be stuck on the ground while some surfer dragon flies around blasting you.

Remove ads