D&D 4E 4e Constitution - what a waste of time !

Istar

First Post
You get nothing for making this a high stat, does anyone bother.

You dont even get the modifier added to HP's each new level like ye old D&D

FireLance

Legend
Don't forget that your Constitution bonus adds to your number of healng surges per day. Since every class gets 4 hit points or more per level, each point of Constitution bonus adds +1 hit point or more per level to a character's daily hit points. If the party has a leader character who can make spending a healing surge more effective, the number of daily hit points gained from an additional point of Constitution bonus can increase even further.

Constitution has a lesser effect on short-term endurance (maximum hit points) but it can have a significant effect on a character's overall number of hit points per day.

Baumi

Adventurer
-) Fortitude depends on it (with increases per level)
-) Starting Hit points ... which increases if you increase the stat
-) Number of Healing Surges ... while the surges itself don't increase, the number of Hitpoints do get higher and scale so with your level

So even if you don't have it as a primary/secondary stat, it is still very useful .. at low AND high level. :)

Dice4Hire

First Post
Con is still very important. There are more and more feats and abilities that require it. Even if it did not add to hit points, many classes need it to get armor proficiencies, or weapon feats.

I would not think it is too much to say that Martial Power made it even mroe important. I think a 14 is a minimum for jsut about any class, an d fighting types should really try for a 16 or more.

Granted a cuple of feats can make up for it, but those feats are even nicer on top of it.

Engilbrand

First Post
Healing Surges are your true hit point value. There's a difference between a Fighter with a Con of 13 and a Fighter with a Con of 14. That difference is about 7 hit points. 1 for the Con, and 6 more for the Healing Surge value. When you're talking about an entire party with difference makeups, it's believable for a beginning Paladin to truly be in the hundreds for hit points because of Healing Surges.
If your class gets other bonuses for Con, like the Battlerage Vigor Fighter or the Barbarian, then Con is fantastic.
The only reason that Con would be worthless to someone in this edition is if they didn't understand it.

I haven't seen a character yet who put 8 in CON using point buy. I have seen every other stat get an 8 from at least somebody.

(Not an exhaustive list)
8 STR: Wizards, Warlocks, Archer Rangers
8 DEX: Wizards, Warlocks
8 INT: Everybody except Wizards, Warlocks, and Taclords
8 WIS: Artful Rogue, Feylocks
8 CHA: Rangers

But everybody could use a little CON. Most characters will take at least 12, and I've seen a lot of 14s for that extra surge. Any axe-wielding character who also has high STR will want 17 by epic. Starting at 14 also means deadly axe is available at 11th.

Mengu

First Post
You dont even get the modifier added to HP's each new level like ye old D&D

You're right, it's not per level any more, so your 16 Con wizard doesn't end up with more HP's than the 10 Con Paladin.

But Con does not feel any less important than Strength. There are a number of class features, powers, and feat requirements that rely on a decent constitution score.

Initially I thought Ccnstitution was going to be a dump stat. But after our first few games, I saw how quickly people with low Con were running out of healing surges. One of our players even picked up Durable to cover up that weakness.

I'm playing a Dragonborn Warlord with a 14 Con (eventhough it isn't a primary/secondary stat, and I don't get a racial bonus). For Dragonborns Con is very nice to have for both the higher healing surge value, and the breath weapon damage. I needed at least a 13 to grab Scale proficiency any way. When I grab Combat Veteran, it will even be nicer. And I've never wished I didn;t have the extra 4 HP's and 2 surges I gain for having a 14 instead of a 10.

Remove ads