• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e - Crafting mundane items.

Tzarevitch

First Post
Anyone know how crafting mundane items like armor is supposed to work in 4e? Is it still a skill? I may have missed it but I don't recall seeing anything about this in the hints and previews so far and craft didn't seem to be on the list of known 4e skills. Come to think of it, I didn't see any knowledges on the known list either.

Tzarevitch

Kordeth

First Post
Tzarevitch said:
Anyone know how crafting mundane items like armor is supposed to work in 4e? Is it still a skill? I may have missed it but I don't recall seeing anything about this in the hints and previews so far and craft didn't seem to be on the list of known 4e skills. Come to think of it, I didn't see any knowledges on the known list either.

Tzarevitch

We haven't seen anything about Craft skills, but most if not all the Knowledge skills are still there. Check out the DDXP characters, you'll see Arcana, Nature, History, Religion, and Dungeoneering, for example.

Last edited:

ki11erDM

Explorer
Didn’t they say something along the lines that you would not be using adventure related resources for this type of thing? Meaning it would not draw on the same skill pool as Stealth and the like. It was AGES ago when I heard/read that so may be miss remembering.

Urklore

First Post
<quote>
Crafting and profession skills are removed from 4th edition as they do not consider that 'heroic'. Every class now has the ability to do exciting things in combat.
</quote>

Yes it sucks utterly.

Herodotus

First Post
I'm pretty sure that crafting is still in the game, but crafting skills are no longer "purchased" at the expense of combat-related skills. So you won't have "Craft: Armorsmithing" on your character sheet, but that doesn't mean that you can't make armor.

I'd be interested to hear a source to Urklore's quote. It's clearly not from someone who worked on 4e, since the creators of 4e are referred to as "they."

Irda Ranger

First Post
Tzarevitch said:
:1: We don't know how it works.

:2: We do know it's not a Skill - Skills are "for adventuring", not Crafts, Professions, etc.

:3: Some skills are both a "knowledge" and a "practical" skill (e.g., 4E Arcana is 3E's Spellcraft and Knowledge (Arcana) in one skill).

:4: Unless they provide an alternative mechanic that's better, I plan on using a "Mundane Ritual" mechanic for everything from fixing a teapot to building a castle.

FadedC

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
:4: Unless they provide an alternative mechanic that's better, I plan on using a "Mundane Ritual" mechanic for everything from fixing a teapot to building a castle.

I want a scroll of fix teapot.

Ktulu

First Post
[sarcasm] Oh no.. Now I can't fully realize my goal to play the blacksmith who adventured to become the blacksmith properly! [/sarcasm]

[more sarcasm] So....does this mean it's NOT like an MMO...since you can't sit and craft items for 2 hours pressing the #3 button?[/more sarcasm]

[seriousness]
I suspect there will be rules for this in the martial book, similar to how rituals are performed...They could even be in the PH under martial rituals, really.[/seriousness]

:D

Scipio202

Explorer
I would think you'd use the same mechanical subsystem as crafting magical items. They've said that to make magical weapons/armor you'll have to make a "masterwork" mundane item - so making a regular mundane item should be similar.

Aristotle

First Post
I thought it was mentioned in an interview that they were looking at maybe implementing a "crafting system" in a later book. Some took that to mean crafting magic items specifically, but I immediately thought MMO weapon/armor crafting when I read it.

Remove ads