• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E D&D - Are you playing already (or ever)?

Are you already playing a 4E campaign?

• I own 4E books and we have started a campaign

Votes: 168 52.5%
  • I own 4E books, but have only played a one-shot or a few test sessions.

Votes: 30 9.4%
  • I own 4E books and read them, but didn't have the opportunity yet to play a game.

Votes: 24 7.5%
  • I own 4E books, but decided not to play after playing one or more sessions.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • I own 4E books, but decided not to play after reading them.

Votes: 19 5.9%
  • I don't have the 4E books, but we have started a campaign or played a one-shot/test session.

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • I don't have any 4E books, but I am planning to do so.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I don't have any 4E books, do not plan to buy them, but I will play.

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • I don't have any 4E books, but played and decided not to buy or play anymore.

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • I don't have any 4E books, and I do not plan to buy them or play the game.

Votes: 40 12.5%
  • I had the 4E books, but I got rid of them after reading it.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I had the 4E books, but I got rid of them after playing it for a while.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd really like to have the books and play, but I totally lack time/money/group/etc.

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • I don't want the books nor play, but I lack time/money/group/etc. anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm participating in a 4e campaign as a player beginning on Monday. I'm also thinking about starting my own campaign as a DM, but its only in the early planning stages.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I own the core books.

I converted my Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path game over to Fourth Edition as soon as possible, but the game ended for two reasons: one of the players left Australia to study for his PhD at M.I.T., and I had become increasingly dissatisfied with the quality of the Pathfinder adventures going forward. I compressed the end of the first Rise of the Runelords adventure to a fairly satisfying point and called it a day.

Luckily, I'm also playing in an original campaign run by my friend Gareth. We've only had three sessions so far, since one of the other players is on an overseas trip at the moment, but it's going to be an ongoing campaign.

I didn't vote.
I don't own the books. I followed the design journals and the previews and was disatisfied with a lot of the mechanical changes and some of the fundamental philosophy and inspriations of the design team- the thought of all which led me to walk out of a demo to free a spot in case someone else showed up to play.
<snip>
My conclusion was that I might try it after the third party companies get a hold of it and play with it just as was the case with 3e. Currently, however, there is nothing about 4e that makes me want to leave 3e. Third party support for 3e along with UA and a few house rules allows me to tailor 3e to be almost exactly what I wanted from a 4e- although I still want 4e's removal of the non-biological aspects of race (e.g., elven weapon bonuses and dwarven bonuses vs. giants) and its making them into feats.

Kudos on one of the most comprehensive polls I've seen in awhile!

Most comprehensive, and it's still not enough! Damn it! You picky non-voters you! I spent entire days thinking about to post it, and even several minutes working out the questions! ;)

Coustain

First Post
I picked I Own the Books, but have only played a few test games.

No doubt, I am buying into 4E (I like what I see), however, I am having to adjust to the jump between 2E to now. I took a decade long break from playing/DM'ing, and while the mechanics are easy enough to master, I am having a little diffuculty in remembering all the little nuances of DM'ing (like instead of giving the monsters treasure out to the PC's, making them guess and get the items identified, or roll Arcana Checks).

I have H-1, H-2 and H-3, the DM Screen, FRCG, and the three core books. I am buying it all as it comes out. Call me OCD :-S(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), but I had $500~ in 2E books when I stopped playing, and I like having "complete sets" of things.

I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my 2E books 10 years ago.... :eek:

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I'm currently a player in one game a week and a DM in another. Next week I'm going to start DM'ing a short module for another group, and if that works out, I'll start a campaign with them.

I'm also probably going to be involved in Living Forgotten Realms some time in the future.

Henry

Autoexreginated
We're currently alternating between a 4E campaign (run by me) and a 3.5 campaign (run by another player in the group). I'm running it VERY brusquely, with the PC gaining 1 level per session.

With this last weekend, the darndest thing happened: The group's largest 4E detractor (who's actually said it felt like a board game, that Wizards were ruined, that combat was stupid, etc.) actually CANCELLED going to the beach this weekend to play with us for our 4E game.

Therefore, our group concluded the End of the World was Nigh. We are looking for sackcloth-colored suns and Blood-red Moons any time now. :)

OpsKT

Explorer
4E is actually fun enough to run that my RPGA Herald number went form Inactive to Active.

I'm even considering Forgotten Realms, and I've never really liked to play that setting (read sure, play no).

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
We're currently alternating between a 4E campaign (run by me) and a 3.5 campaign (run by another player in the group). I'm running it VERY brusquely, with the PC gaining 1 level per session.

With this last weekend, the darndest thing happened: The group's largest 4E detractor (who's actually said it felt like a board game, that Wizards were ruined, that combat was stupid, etc.) actually CANCELLED going to the beach this weekend to play with us for our 4E game.

Therefore, our group concluded the End of the World was Nigh. We are looking for sackcloth-colored suns and Blood-red Moons any time now. :)

Ahh...

where's the recommendation button? I want to recommend this posts for others, or give Rep points to Henry! :)

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads