• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E D&D - Are you playing already (or ever)?

Are you already playing a 4E campaign?

• I own 4E books and we have started a campaign

Votes: 168 52.5%
  • I own 4E books, but have only played a one-shot or a few test sessions.

Votes: 30 9.4%
  • I own 4E books and read them, but didn't have the opportunity yet to play a game.

Votes: 24 7.5%
  • I own 4E books, but decided not to play after playing one or more sessions.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • I own 4E books, but decided not to play after reading them.

Votes: 19 5.9%
  • I don't have the 4E books, but we have started a campaign or played a one-shot/test session.

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • I don't have any 4E books, but I am planning to do so.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I don't have any 4E books, do not plan to buy them, but I will play.

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • I don't have any 4E books, but played and decided not to buy or play anymore.

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • I don't have any 4E books, and I do not plan to buy them or play the game.

Votes: 40 12.5%
  • I had the 4E books, but I got rid of them after reading it.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I had the 4E books, but I got rid of them after playing it for a while.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd really like to have the books and play, but I totally lack time/money/group/etc.

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • I don't want the books nor play, but I lack time/money/group/etc. anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I voted:

I own 4E books, but decided not to play after reading them.

But as comprehensive as this poll is, that is not entirely accurate.

I would be willing to play 4Ed with the right group of players, but I dislike the game sufficiently enough that I will NEVER run the game, nor will I buy anything beyond the Core 3 I preordered.

conanb

First Post
I own the 4E books since release and my group and I are playing every week. We're all really enjoying it. There's been some hard knock lessons to learn about 4E. First, don't pick a fight by yourself. Second, work as a team or your all going to die. Third, Strikers need Defenders and Defenders need Leaders and it's easy to get overrun without a controller. Balanced parties are easier to DM for than inbalanced ones.

Other than that we are having a great time with it.

RFisher

Explorer
I voted, “I own 4E books, but have only played a one-shot or a few test sessions.”

I really only own the PHB. I think we’ve got 4 PHBs in the group, but only 1 each of the DMG and MM.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I voted "own, didn´t play yet." My 3.5 Moonsea game is still going strong, and a friend is preparing to run the Mage introductory adventure. And there is this 2-year-monster-campaign for The Dark Eye looming over us, so...
I think my first campaign will be sparked by the next Campaign setting coming out.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I own 4E books and we have started two new campaigns.

Though this colours me as a raveneous 4e fanboy, it is more due to lucky timing. Both previous campaigns ended in spring.

One campaign uses the WotC adventures (currently running KotS), the other one, with the first 'real' session taking place today, will be mixed action.

It takes place in Malhavoc's Ptolus, using converted adventures from this book, some older converted Dungeon stuff, and my own adventures as well. Ihaven't been able to check out Godmman Games' new DCC books, but at least Sellswords of Punjar sounds like it might fit the setting.

I'll handle the necessary conversion on a session-by-session basis, based on an outline scribbled down in one evening (for the first four levels that is).

If time (and my profound laziness) permits, I'll post my reports on a blog.

jensun

First Post
I own the books and am currently running a Conan inspired sword and sorcery game, details in my sig.

It works perfectly for my group who come with a definate narrativist slant.

They havent played D&D for the last 6 or 7 years.

Last edited:

I voted:

But as comprehensive as this poll is, that is not entirely accurate.

I would be willing to play 4Ed with the right group of players, but I dislike the game sufficiently enough that I will NEVER run the game, nor will I buy anything beyond the Core 3 I preordered.

The 100 characters limit on the poll makes it difficult to get all the nuances. ;)

ProfessorCirno said:
I mis-voted D:

I meant to vote for "Don't own, have played, won't buy." Accidently just did "Don't own, have playe
But even more characters can't help with trigger-happy voters... ;)

Fenes

First Post
Own the books, asked in two groups, no converting. The game is simply too incomplete at this point - lacking many of the character choices we have in our campaign, entire classes in a few cases (Barbarian, Sorcerer, Duellist) - to switch.

The mechanics look mixed to me - the combat system looks smooth, but the powers look bland and not impressive to me. Bot9S mechanics look impressive and flashy compared to it, and seem to suit our playstyle - one fight, if any, per session, no miniatures - much better than 4E.

I am houseruling the stuff I like from 4E into the game, just as I did with 3.5 - we're still playing with 3E and house rules, not 3.5 as baseline.

(And most of the problems 4E solved I already solved with house rules, like christmas tree, save or dies, sweet spot.)

NiTessine

Explorer
Playtested it. Got the PHB. Not an experience I care to repeat. I'm getting a distinct impression I am not in the target audience for this game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads