• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e D&D Plays Like a Video Game, and That's Awesome

mrswing

Explorer
But it can never do what a video RPG does best - speed and visual immersion. And on the other hand, video RPGs still can't do what tabletop does best: using the imagination of both player and GM to tackle obstacles and opponents in unexpected but satisfying ways. (nor can video RPGS have the plot come off the rails completely because one of the players decides to make his/her character behave like a total jackass all of a sudden:) ).

I don't think 4e is going to succeed in converting even one quarter of video RPG gamers to table top enthusiasts. It obviously works for some people (dreadgazebo's wife, lucky devil!). But I feel many of the video game-based design choices are among the least successful elements of the game and were responsible for much of the backlash against the game when it was released - and IMO it's no coincidence that Essentials is going back to evoking the classic RPG feel in its fluff and descriptions (even if the video RPG-rules are still in effect).

UHF

First Post
I tend to say no...

Or rather it can play anyway you like. I run two parties of 4e adventurers.

One party is all optimized strikers, and kids that show up can grab a character and play. Yup... its a video game.

I also run a a deep role playing game and not every session is a fight. There's of everything going on, and the characters are all still using long swords, so not optimized.

Really 4e is what you make of it.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Funnily enough, this 4E video-game edition doesn't actually have any video games out there. Earlier editions however have a ton, especially 1st & 2nd editions.

I mean it's been over 2 years now, what's the wait for?

malraux

First Post
Funnily enough, this 4E video-game edition doesn't actually have any video games out there. Earlier editions however have a ton, especially 1st & 2nd editions.

IIRC, lawsuits. Atari currently holds the video game rights, HAS wants them back. Moreover, I think a lot of the bigger companies have decided that its more advantageous to hold their own IP; so you're more likely to see something like Dragon Age instead of Balder's Gate.

Keldryn

Adventurer
FreeTheSlaves said:

A simpler "AAA" computer or video game (such as a straightforward action or FPS title) takes a good two years to develop. A more complex, open-ended game takes longer. It's not uncommon for CRPGs -- especially if not using an existing engine -- to take 3 or 4 years to create.

dreadgazebo

First Post
IIRC, lawsuits. Atari currently holds the video game rights, HAS wants them back. Moreover, I think a lot of the bigger companies have decided that its more advantageous to hold their own IP; so you're more likely to see something like Dragon Age instead of Balder's Gate.

Well yeah, the new Neverwinter title is going to be the first video game to use 4e. But the developers don't know their ass from a hole in the ground so it will probably end up being an embarassment. I wrote a little something about it not too long ago

Cryptic’s “Neverwinter”, looking bleak?

The Little Raven

First Post

Taking properties in-house is working out pretty well for Marvel. The Incredible Hulk (with Edward Norton) and Iron Man were the first in their new MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe), and it's practically a license for them to print money.

Remove ads