• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E PHB Viewing at Games Plus, what we saw

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I actually got a chance to spend a few minutes with the books!
Where to start?
2-weapon fighting is a feat, but just gives a bonus, not an extra attack. The ranger can take an at-will that gives him an extra attack, I didn't see any others, but could easily have missed it.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
At-Wills

Nearly every class has 4 At-Wills available to chose from at 1st level, Wizard has 5. Same goes for Encounters. Fighter, Paladin and Rogue have 3 Dailys, everyone else has 4.

Stalker0

Legend
thalmin said:
Nearly every class has 4 At-Wills available to chose from at 1st level, Wizard has 5. Same goes for Encounters. Fighter, Paladin and Rogue have 3 Dailys, everyone else has 4.

Do the options for at wills go up at higher levels? (I don't mean more at-wills known, just more options). 4 powers to choose from seems....really low.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Multi-Classing

Multi-Classing requires a Stat of 13+.
Each class has an Initiate Feat associated with it. Get to pick 1 Skill from class, also get 1 specified.
There are also 3 Power Swap Feats starting at 4th level. Swap any (Encounter Attack, Utility, Daily) Power you have for one of equal or lower level from your chosen Multi-Class. The 3 feats are of different levels, one for each power type (Encounter, Utility, Daily.)
(corrected Specified power does not have to be a daily)

Last edited:

Lord Nat

First Post
thalmin said:

Ah thank you.
This is what I thought it'd be, so Humans (and to a lesser level Half-Elves) can have all but 1 at-wills (or 2 wizards).

I am happy the wizard gets the extra as I think there will likely be a few more build types you can do with him.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Stalker0 said:
Do the options for at wills go up at higher levels? (I don't mean more at-wills known, just more options). 4 powers to choose from seems....really low.
Yes, more of each type become available at progressive levels, Some levels you gain additional Encounter, Utility, or Daily powers, otherwise you swap out for a new power. Some classes (spellcasters) get more to choose from. Numbers you can choose is the same for each class, Race can add to this.
The chart goes something like:
Level 1 (2 At-Will, 1 Encounter, 1 Daily, 0 Utility)
Level 2 (2/1/1/1)
3 (2/2/1/1)
5 (2/2/2/1)
6 (2/2/2/2)
7 (2/3/2/2)
and so on.

Rechan

Adventurer
thalmin said:
Multi-Classing requires a Stat of 13+.
Each class has an Initiate Feat associated with it. Get to pick 1 Skill from class, also get 1 specified power as a daily.
Eh? Specific power as a daily from the Initiate feat?

From the Multiclassing excerpt, the initiate feats gave you a class's At-Will ability for an Encounter power (Like a Paladin's divine challenge, a rogue's SA, a ranger's Hunter's Quarry). How is what you saw different?

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Lord Nat said:
Ah thank you.
This is what I thought it'd be, so Humans (and to a lesser level Half-Elves) can have all but 1 at-wills (or 2 wizards).

I am happy the wizard gets the extra as I think there will likely be a few more build types you can do with him.
Wizard also gets a few extra At-Will abilities, like Cantrips.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads