D&D 4E 4e Pokemon Tabletop RPG

Camelot

Adventurer
At 1/2 health, you make three rolls but only need to succeed twice to capture. At 1/4 health, you make all three rolls but only need to succeed once. One of the Pokemon's defenses must be lower than average, unless they are all average, so the trainer would have a better chance of capture than you thought. If all of its defenses are average, you'd have 10 + one-half level + average modifier, which at level one would equal 12 or 13, I'd say.

For an example, let's say they're all 13 (because you do add +1 to all defenses, like you're creating an NPC in D&D). If you were using a Pokeball (no bonuses, as of right now) against this wild Pokemon at full health, you'd have a 6.4% chance of success. At 1/4 health, you'd have a 40% chance of success, because you get three rolls and only need to succeed on one. I'm not too good with the math, but I think that's right. It's definitely more than you got, because you calculated as if the trainer only got one roll.

To balance, the Pokeball could give a +1 bonus to the roll, substituting the need for the trainer's ability score. This would make it fairly easy to capture a Pokemon of the trainer's level. Greatball would give +2 and Ultraball would give +3. Then again, these numbers are just speculation; it could require more to balance.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Okay, I misread that. It doesn't seem so bad, since your chances go up greatly in that case. Off the cuff, it sounds fine.

Camelot

Adventurer
I'll roll with it for now and see how it goes.

While we're on non-D&D equivalent mechanics, I'd like to work out a friendship system that will allow for Pokemon to occasionally disobey their trainer's if they don't like them. Here's my thoughts so far.

When you capture a Pokemon, and at the end of each extended rest (Pokecenter visit, which I might require to be at least six hours instead of ding-ding-ding done), the trainer makes a Charisma check that is applied to all of his or her Pokemon. It needs to beat a certian number (depending on the species of Pokemon), and then the result determines if the Pokemon's happiness increases, decreases, or remains the same. If the Pokemon's happiness is equal to or above a certain number, it acts as normal. If it is below, it is unhappy with its trainer.

An unhappy Pokemon will do one of the following things in a battle: obey the trainer, use a random at-will attack against the nearest enemy, become confused, or fall asleep.

Other things can increase a Pokemon's happiness, for example, winning battles, certain items, or massages. I have no idea what should be done with the numbers yet, but it's just a basic idea.

Any thoughts? Also, I'm working on Charmander's features. It's a striker, secondary controller. I'm really stumped for interesting features for this one. I appreciate any ideas, and all the ideas and feedback I've received so far! It's really helped!

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Model Charmander after a Hell-Lock, maybe? That'd kinda meet the rolls you want it to. It can have the pact boon be something like arrogance (it gets more confident when it downs a foe = temporary hp), since that line tends to be rather so (at least in my experience with the anime, etc).

As to the happiness factor, it looks good, but I would also add to it for levels gained while with the trainer. In Pokemon: Diamond, unless it's purposefully knocked out, never carried around, etc, a pichu will evolve to pikachu on its own by about level 26 (starting at 1, I've tested this theory before in my posts at serebii.net).

Here's some in game rules for happiness at Serebii.net.

Camelot

Adventurer
Good ol' Serebii. Check it daily. Thanks!

I like the idea for Charmander. I was trying to model it after the sorcerer, but I didn't like how that was working. Warlock hadn't crossed my mind. I'll try it, and see how it works. It's just the Warlock's Curse that I need a Charmandery explanation for.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
You could call it keen senses. Charmander is able to focus on multiple opponents during combat and take advantage of flaws in their strategy. This explains why the warlock's curse allows it to deal extra damage to such opponents, in addition to adding to what I put above in that when an opponent falls, charmander gains a boost in morale (temporary hit points).

Camelot

Adventurer
How about Dragon's Flame? Charmander puts a guiding flame on the target that inflicts extra damage. I feel like Keen Senses is a good idea, but could be reserved for another Pokemon.

Charmander can either gain temporary hit points or a bonus to AC when its "Warlock's Curse" equivalent target dies. Also, prime shot is pretty much the same. Instead of shadow walk (hiding from enemies), Charmander has tail light (lets him see enemies).

Camelot

Adventurer
Bulbasaur

LEVEL 1 AT-WILL ATTACK POWERS

Razor Leaf Bulbasaur Attack 1
At-Will * Grass, Special
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: Each Pokémon in blast
Attack: Wisdom vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d8 + Wisdom modifier grass damage.
Level 21: 2d8 + Wisdom modifier grass damage.

Toxic Leaf Bulbasaur Attack 1
At-Will * Poison, Special
Hit: 1d6 + Wisdom modifier poison damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
Level 21: 2d6 + Wisdom modifier poison damage.

Venomous Vine Bulbasaur Attack 1
At-Will * Poison, Special
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One Pokémon
Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Wisdom modifier poison damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to defenses until the end of your next turn.
Level 21: 2d8 + Wisdom modifier poison damage.

Vine Whip Bulbasaur Attack 1
At-Will * Grass, Special
Hit: 2d4 + Wisdom modifier grass damage.
Level 21: 4d4 + Wisdom modifier grass damage.

LEVEL 1 ENCOUNTER ATTACK POWERS

Binding Vine Bulbasaur Attack 1
Encounter * Grass, Special
Standard Action Ranged 5
Hit: 1d10 + Wisdom modifier damage, and the target is immobilized (save ends).
Vine Strategy: The target takes a penalty to saving throws against the effects of this attack equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Blinding Leaf Bulbasaur Attack 1
Encounter * Grass, Special
Hit: The target is blinded (save ends).
Leaf Strategy: The target takes grass damage equal to your Dexterity modifier.

LEVEL 1 DAILY ATTACK POWERS

Leaf Storm Bulbasaur Attack 1
Daily * Grass, Special
Standard Action Close burst 2
Target: Each Pokémon in burst
Hit: 1d10 + Wisdom modifier grass damage.
Miss: Half damage.

Weakening Vine Bulbasaur Attack 1
Daily * Poison, Special
Standard Action Ranged vines 5
Hit: 2d6 + Wisdom modifier poison damage, and the target is weakened (save ends).

CHARMANDER

TRAITS

Role: Striker and controller.
Type: Fire

Primary Abilities: Constitution
Secondary Abilities: Strength, Dexterity
Tertiary Abilities: Charisma

Size: Small
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal

Armor Bonus to AC: +2
Armor Type: Light
Bonus to Defense: +2 Reflex

Physical Weapons: Body, Claws, Tail, Teeth
Special Weapons: Flames

Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
Healing Surges per Day: 7 + Constitution modifier

FEATURES

Charmander’s Strategy: Choose one of the following options.
- Arrogant Strategy: When a Pokémon that you have placed a Dragon’s Flame on is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Strength modifier.
- Wary Strategy: When a Pokémon that you have placed a Dragon’s Flame on is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer, you gain a bonus to AC equal to your Dexterity modifier until the end of your next turn.
Dragon’s Flame: Once per turn, as a minor action, you can place a Dragon’s Flame on a Pokémon within 10 squares of you to which you have line of effect. When you hit a Pokémon that you have placed a Dragon’s Flame on, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage with that attack. You can only deal this damage once per round, so if you have dealt it since the start of your last turn, you cannot deal it again until the start of your next turn. You can place multiple Dragon’s Flames on multiple Pokémon at a time, but you can only deal the extra damage to one Pokémon per round. Each Dragon’s Flame requires a minor action to place on a Pokémon. The extra damage increases to 2d6 at 11th level and to 3d6 at 21st level.
Ferocious Range: If you are closer to the target of your ranged attack than all of your allies, then you gain a bonus to the attack roll equal to your Charisma modifier.
Fire Tail: Your square and each square within 5 squares of you is brightly lit as long as you are conscious.

POWERS

LEVEL 1 AT-WILL ATTACK POWERS

Burning Bite Charmander Attack 1
At-Will * Fire, Physical
Standard Action Melee teeth
Attack: Constitution vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Constitution modifier fire damage. If the target moves away from you on its next turn, it takes additional fire damage equal to your Strength modifier.
Level 21: 2[W] + Constitution modifier fire damage.

Dragon Breath Charmander Attack 1
At-Will * Dragon, Special
Attack: Constitution vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d8 + Constitution modifier dragon damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
Level 21: 2d8 + Constitution modifier dragon damage.

Ember Spray Charmander Attack 1
At-Will * Fire, Special
Attack: Constitution vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d10 + Constitution modifier fire damage.
Level 21: 2d10 + Constitution modifier fire damage.

Soaring Scratch Charmander Attack 1
At-Will * Flying, Physical
Standard Action Melee claws
Attack: Constitution vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Constitution modifier flying damage, and you can shift two squares.
Level 21: 2[W] + Constitution modifier flying damage.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
It looks pretty good to me. How did you decide to do physical attacks, so I know how to better gauge the power of [W] attacks?

Also, an interesting question on baby forms, are you going to just include them as the base and have the evolution (read, pikachu, magmar, etc) be the paragon path? How about, looking ahead for a moment, if they add a new baby form to something like kangaskhan in the next generation?

I'm handling them so that the original pokemon has two sets, a base (class) and an evolution (paragon path) form. so, for the pikachu line, you can have pikachu as a class, and raichu as a paragon path. Or, if you start with pichu, you have pikachu as a paragon path and raichu as a destiny, both requiring pichu as a base. It makes an interesting power dynamic from what I can see and actually gave me a good idea to do something similar with actual D&D classes (which I'll post later this weekend). Chew on it and let me know what you think; I'll post an example for clarification if you're interested.

Remove ads