D&D 4E 4E tidbits from WotC blogs (Updated:David Noonan on Social Interactions)

Brentos

First Post
I agree (regarding reading the designer blogs)!

I'm loving reading their blogs, and I hope they keep it going! It gives me the old Marvel Comics feeling of being part of a community!

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Wormwood said:
I am so freakin' thrilled about this change.

As a DM who tried to run a by-the-book game as much as possible, altering or inventing monsters is needlessly frustrating drudgery.

I think if you check back through the last 3 or 4 D&D podcasts, you'll see that Mearls and Noonan (at least) agree with you - the podcast about Drow from around the time Drow of the Underdark was released especially had both of them complaining about the 3e system for monster design and both of them were saying that they'd thrown out the standard 3e rules in their home campaigns and just "designed drow monsters to fill the roles" that they needed.

I remember thinking at the time "that's nice - why don't you put out a **** book for THOSE rules?" 'cause designing NPCs using the monster races that are fun, challenging to fight, and don't end up with my players carting off a king's ransom in loot is a pain in the neck. Now I see what was going on - they were using 4e proto-rules in their home campaigns and they couldn't talk about it yet.

I have to say, despite the fact that I'm not going to be converting immediately, the stuff I'm reading about monster creation for the new game has me interested.

Logan_Bonner

First Post
Brentos said:
I'm loving reading their blogs, and I hope they keep it going! It gives me the old Marvel Comics feeling of being part of a community!

Does this mean we get alliterative nicknames like Rebukin' Rob Heinsoo, Disarming Dave Noonan, Magical Mike Mearls, and Spelljammin' James Wyatt? (That last one sounds like a blues singer.)

WotC_Logan said:
Does this mean we get alliterative nicknames like Rebukin' Rob Heinsoo, Disarming Dave Noonan, Magical Mike Mearls, and Spelljammin' James Wyatt? (That last one sounds like a blues singer.)
Only if you address us as "True Believer!"

Glyfair

Explorer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Only if you address us as "True Believer!"
I was going to say they need catch phrases, like Excelsior, 'Nuff Said and they have to award something like No-Prizes to those who catch errors in the books and suggest corrections.

Remove ads