D&D 4E 4E tidbits from WotC blogs (Updated:David Noonan on Social Interactions)

So, if Rogues will be able to sneak attack all monster types because it's not "fun" to be better at attacking some creature types than others, will Clerics be able to turn all creature types because it's also not "fun" to only have abilities that work on certain monsters but not other ones?

broghammerj

Explorer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
I've seen cries on this very board, for the past four years, about making the game simpler.

Now that my group is out of DNDs "sweet spot" and is at 18th level, I have to use a lap top to keep track of my character sheet. So yeah, simpler may be an improvement.

shilsen

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
SOMEONE ASK ABOUT WHEN GNOMES ARE GOING TO BE AVAILABLE!

For me. :)
As long as I'm running an Eberron game, which I expect to do for a long time, gnomes will always be available.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
wingsandsword said:
So, if Rogues will be able to sneak attack all monster types because it's not "fun" to be better at attacking some creature types than others, will Clerics be able to turn all creature types because it's also not "fun" to only have abilities that work on certain monsters but not other ones?

It is not about being able to sneak attack everything. It is about being able to be a contributing member of the party when you face undead/plants/oozes/constructs. It's not fun to Aid Another. There should be options for characters to do something iconic (for their role)and fun in all combats. Alchemicals and low weapon damage options are not always fun they are an excuse to roll a die. I like alchemicals, but they are generic to all classes, like grapple and disarm. Give me a rogue way to handle threats not subpar fighter way or an ersatz wizard way. Let the class be its class.

Gundark

Explorer
heirodule said:
I'm gonna hate 4e if its all "I can do anything all the time!" Sneak attack oozes, right in the....um, goo! Dwarf all crits all the time

DM: That monster attacks you! and takes 2d6 damage because you happened to be holding a sword. pre-rolled AOOs for your conveniece!

:p

I know your joking, however it's not going to be like that.

Dire Bare

Legend
heirodule said:
Rogues should be more versatile by smart play!

What about throwing tanglefoot bags at the plants

What about UMD and a wand of magic missiles?

What about doing bits of damage here and there.

anyway :D

I never buy the argument, "The rules are fine, you are just not playing your character intelligently."

While special and magical items are an important part of D&D, always have been and always will be, in 3e having the right suite of items wasn't just cool (or not cool) it was critical to game balance. If this is going away, I'm a very happy gamer.

Dire Bare

Legend
heirodule said:
Really? I like to play a gadgeteer. +22 craft alchemy, and a haversack filled with all kinds of creations I made myself

The "gadgeteer" concept is a cool one. I've built those types myself and hads lots of fun.

But in 3e all character concepts had to have their bag of magical goodies to be able to compete with the monsters, not just the "gadgeteers."

grimslade said:
It is not about being able to sneak attack everything. It is about being able to be a contributing member of the party when you face undead/plants/oozes/constructs. It's not fun to Aid Another. There should be options for characters to do something iconic (for their role)and fun in all combats. Alchemicals and low weapon damage options are not always fun they are an excuse to roll a die. I like alchemicals, but they are generic to all classes, like grapple and disarm. Give me a rogue way to handle threats not subpar fighter way or an ersatz wizard way. Let the class be its class.
Uh, since when are Rogues not able to contribute when fighting undead or constructs or plants? Did I miss the line in the MM where under Undead creature type it lists "Damage Reduction vs. weapons wielded by Rogues"? They can't use their sneak attack, but sneak attack damage is a bonus, an extra, a nice thing when you can get it, not a guarantee to ever count on. If you're playing a Rogue, you shouldn't ever count on being able to get Sneak Attack off, it's nice, but it's gravy, not meat.

Then again, I don't see a Rogue's role as being a primarily damage producing character that is depleted if he can't do heavy damage every fight, they are secondary/auxiliary combatants that are primarily there to disarm traps and open locks, appraise treasure, sneak around and scout out the dungeon/battlefield, and help the party make underworld contacts and gather information/resources back in town, with being the backstab guy being another item among many on their job description.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
wingsandsword said:
Uh, since when are Rogues not able to contribute when fighting undead or constructs or plants? Did I miss the line in the MM where under Undead creature type it lists "Damage Reduction vs. weapons wielded by Rogues"? They can't use their sneak attack, but sneak attack damage is a bonus, an extra, a nice thing when you can get it, not a guarantee to ever count on. If you're playing a Rogue, you shouldn't ever count on being able to get Sneak Attack off, it's nice, but it's gravy, not meat.

Try playing a rogue in the final battle against Kyuss in the Age of Worms. It's distressing. Kyuss has DR/epic, so the rogue loses almost all their damage. Then he's uncrittable, so no sneak attack. And lots of energy resistances. I think in the entire fight, the rogue in the party did 3 damage to him.

High-level rogues need sneak attack to keep up with the fighters, clerics and wizards in battle. If they're denied it for a battle, they seriously suck.

Remove ads