D&D 4E 4E tidbits from WotC blogs (Updated:David Noonan on Social Interactions)

Devyn said:
I've heard the same cries. I've never agreed with them as I find D&D to be a pretty simple game. The GM controls how much complexity he's going to use. And 4E will end up being the same. Sure the core books will be simple (just as the 3E core were) but then each successive book will add more and more until 4E will be in the exact same condition that many feel 3.5 is in.
I agree that I've never really had a complexity problem, but I can see why others would.

My comment was more aimed at the fact that the simplicity thing isn't really coming from an MMO end. Its coming from players of all kinds that are ALREADY playing D&D.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Stormborn said:
While it suggests to me that 4e wont confirm crits anymore, it will be just x2 on a 20 and thats it.
Not sure about the numbers, but yeah, I think "confirming" is out.

Stormborn said:
Where as the comments about the rogue just suggest that they will try to give the rogue the ability to do 'something' regardless of the situation and that the class will not be limited in combat to SAs.
Also right, IMO. More options beside "Resort to Equipment."

Although I made a high-AC thief who could get in the thick of things - good for flanks and aid another, even when he himself wasn't doing much. I made myself useful.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Devyn said:
The GM controls how much complexity he's going to use. And 4E will end up being the same. Sure the core books will be simple (just as the 3E core were) but then each successive book will add more and more until 4E will be in the exact same condition that many feel 3.5 is in.
No, the Core 3e books could have been simpler. It's not a question of more options (more Feats, more Classes, etc.) but basic mechanics. They're either fast and simple - or not. 3e just takes a lot longer than previous editions, and if we can cut it back to like it was before (or just improve a good bit), then yay.

Glyfair

Explorer
James Wyatt has posted again (mostly about the Eberron panel) and Mike Mearls has finally posted.

From Mike:

3e got a lot of things right, but anyone who has played it for a time knows that it gets things wrong. There are also legacy issues with the game that have persisted unquestioned for years. 4e is all about taking the things that work in D&D, keeping them in the game, and fixing everything else.

(By the way, if you are at GenCon, the staff is wearing buttons that say "Ask Me About 4th Edition D&D" for a reason. We don't just dig buttons, we want you to ask questions. At this stage, the ball is in your court. What do you guys want to know? We can't necessarily answer every question, but we'll do what we can.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Class abilities, that up until 2 days ago were considered "Features" of 3.5 that encouraged tactics such as you are suggesting, are now considered overly complex and a bane to fun and enjoyment of the game.

...whenever I read a post decrying the simplification of D&D, I'm reminded a lot of Andrew Keen.

In a way that makes me want to hit things.

Things like people.

In places like their faces.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
The same happens to me when someone decries that D&D tries to pull in young WoW kids and anime lovers. Please, D&D, begin again to fascinate all those pimple-faced youngsters. Because there was a time when i was one. :D

I find the game simple too. When 3e came out I learned it in a few days. When 3.5 came out I had it done in a day.
I almost never have to look stuff up. I dont understand the argument that its too complicated.

If 4e allows me to use my old books fine. If not only Faerun gets my money.

Nefrast

First Post
heirodule said:
Rogues should be more versatile by smart play!
Absolutely. But IMO this has nothing to do with rules at all. Smart play is always an option (and more fun), no matter what edition you play. I doubt 4e will take away the option for characters beeing smart or to find new creative ways to solve problems.

heirodule said:
What about throwing tanglefoot bags at the plants
What about UMD and a wand of magic missiles?
No doubt, in 4e there won't be any lacking of situations where tangelfoot bags and UMD uses are more effective than swinging you weapon. But what if you are all out of tanglefoot bags and magic missile wands? Standing in the back and watching the other players having a ball is not fun. So making sure that there is always something a character can bring in is nothing bad.

Remove ads