4th Edition Red Wizards

Blackbrrd

First Post
I don't see how not having to level NPCs is something to worry about. They probably have rules for creating NPCs that are simpler than the rules for creating PCs. If you do want to create a NPC with the PC creation rules, I don't see how you couldn't be able to to just that. In other words: in 4th edition you have another option within the rules for creating NPCs. How can this be bad? ;)

cwhs01

First Post
Derren said:
No, most NPCs are just slapped together randomly so that they provide a challenge for PCs. No rules, no classes.

dang. i really would have liked to see a post from you not including a bunch a blatant... halftruths.

It's been said by wotc that you CAN stat out npc's with the rules for pc's. Or you can use the guidelines in the MM and dmg.

But... What is the purpose of statting out an npc? so the npc can present a challenge for the pc's to overcome. what does it matter which method is used, as long as the objective is reached? The easiest toolset to do the job ftw. 3e was not an easy ruleset to use (at least for high level npc's and monsters). i wouldn't mind a system that allowed or even encouraged approximations instead of the complications of 3e. maybe 4e will give us both?

Derren

Hero
cwhs01 said:
dang. i really would have liked to see a post from you not including a bunch a blatant... halftruths.

And I really would like to see you actually reading what you are responding to. See the word most in my post? Look it up in a dictionary if you need to.

cwhs01

First Post
Derren said:
And I really would like to see you actually reading what you are responding to. See the word most in my post? Look it up in a dictionary if you need to.

why i changed it to half-truth instead of lie. we don't know how most npc's will be statted up. and we certainly don't know that there won't be rules or guidelines for it.

Falling Icicle said:
You can't/aren't supposed to use classes for NPCs? :confused:

If this is true, it will be my single biggest gripe with 4th edition.
You can do both. The not-using PC rules for NPC is more or less the default assumption, and will be applied thoroughly through the monster manual.
I don't know how WotC will handle adventures, but I suppose they will still use the NPC/monster guidelines instead of PC rules.

Even if this wasn't true, all you would need to do would be finding a way to guesstimate XP values for PC-classes NPCs. (I suppose it's around the same as for a regular or Elite NPC of the level, or something in between.)

Doug Justice

First Post
There are several interesting bits of info about the Red Wizards and Thay in general on the new D&D podcast.

The schools are gone.

Thay will be a very scary place to visit. Rich Baker mentioned it would be kind of like an evil Tibet.

Szass Tam is now in control partly because he was the first to figure out how to use magic again after the breaking of the weave.

A good bit more that I don't recall right now of the top of my head.

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
Derren said:
No, most NPCs are just slapped together randomly so that they provide a challenge for PCs. No rules, no classes.

Could you please show/explain me a few examples of the randomly part?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Remove ads