D&D 5E 5e CB's Stonefast OOC -- COMPLETE

Guys, I'm pretty tired, so I'm going to head to bed. I have one hearing in an adjacent county tomorrow at 11 am, but other than that, I plan to be home. I'll see if I can update our IC in the morning. If not, then look for something in the late afternoon or early evening. Thanks for waiting.

Forged Fury

First Post
[MENTION=2486]Al[/MENTION]l: We got clobbered by storms and tornadoes Monday with more bad weather rolling through. I'm mostly without power, so expect limited posting. Feel free to NPC Fulgrim in the interim.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
OOC: completely ignoring the weather-related exigencies of Real Life:

"Varnish Spiders!" Guran denounced. "Why did it have to be Varnish Spiders?"

(In so saying, he lets his long-concealed À-lacquer-no-phobia become evident.) [/OOC]

Edit to add: Yes, I did mean to put this into the OOC thread.
(Edit-Edit: A-accent-grave, not aigue! I should know better than that.)

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
With respect to the scroll: If it is a spell scroll, how does one determine what spells are on said scroll? I guess it is like the other magic items and I would need to spend a short rest examining it? I'm not exactly sure since Read Magic doesn't exist anymore.

I spent a significant amount of time last night researching how a player identifies a spell scroll, reads a spell scroll, casts from a spell scroll, and transcribes a spell scroll in 5e.

Identifying that what you have is a spell scroll is tricky since read magic no longer exists. I checked the entry for detect magic and identify, no dice there as to lay mechanics. I looked through the index of Wizard spells and didn't spot anything that would indicate it helps a player ID a spell scroll by reading it. I'm open to suggestions from the field. [Thus, my post last night re: starting to think that maybe I need a 5e DMG] Tentatively, I'm inclined to have you make an Intelligence (Arcana) check, DC 10 + spell level of the spell on the scroll.

I'm reasonably clear on how one casts a spell from a spell scroll. I don't have those mechanics on hand at the moment, but you can find them by googling. Or wait for me to post them later tonight.

Transcription from a spell scroll into a spellbook is covered by the PHB. Transcription takes 1 hour and 50 gold per spell level. As best I can tell, no Intelligence Arcana check is entailed in transcription. See PHB pp 114-115.

The main issue currently on our plate in the IC is discerning whether the vellum is a spell scroll or just some other spellcaster's scribbled notes. Let me know your thoughts.

One quick fix might be for me to adjudicate that a spell scroll written in draconic is immediately readable by a character who knows draconic. Or, extrapolating, any other language the spell scroll might be written in. Spell scrolls could be written in Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, or, for example, Aquan (would that use watercolors?). Though, it's probably a poor mage who writes a spell scroll in something as plebian as Common. :)

Remove ads