• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e CB's Stonefast OOC -- COMPLETE

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Kobold Stew: Where you are currently located, you can't see or attack the kobolds and would have to get through them before you would be able to take a shot at the elf.

[MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], Forged Fury is correct that Spec can't see or attack the kobolds from Spec's current position. If you'd like, however, you could have Spec delay to a different init count lower in the init order and have him move up toward the forefront of the group. I'm open to other workarounds. I did a lot of movement massaging last night to make all the pieces work together so that folks could accomplish some/most of what they wanted to do, and if need be I can do it again for Round 3.

Thanks for this, both of you. Because of my confusion, and given how low I rolled to hit, I am going to fluff this round in the narrative and work from next round.

One possible strategic move for Spec in future rounds, and potentially others this round: Given the barbarian's reckless attack, the kobolds have advantage against him, and that could be cancelled if someone within 5' helps. Helping doesn't require line of sight, and might be useful in the dogleg. But I think that's not for spec this round.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Replying to myself again:
Re: Am I reading "Skull & Crossbones": . . .
Come to think of it, EN World Admin "Piratecat" had also said (very early in your S&C OOC thread) that he would be watching and reading your Piracy adventure with great interest. If he hasn't said so recently, that doesn't mean he has stopped reading. . . .

Look at the Replies/Views ratio for your S&C IC thread: Replies 539, Views 31,658. That's being read more than 58 times per post!
People know an exciting adventure when they read it.

Forged Fury

First Post
Updating map with stated actions so far (contains movement for both Colden, Father Spec, and Fulgrim; the kobold next to Colden may or may not be obliterated)
Stonefast.jpg

We have: Fulgrim in the same space as he was in for Round 2. Then a five foot gap. Then Spec, then Guran (in front of the open doorway), then Roscoe. The dogleg is unoccupied. The first square east of the doglog (in the hallway) is unoccupied. Then Colden. The last square in the hallway (the one that is furthest east) is unoccupied. Colden can kinda sorta make out about half of the first square in the newest corridor (where the exclamation point is on your map above), and that square is unoccupied.

I don't know that you need to update the map until after Roscoe moves, [MENTION=95059]Forged Fury[/MENTION]. I anticipate Roscoe moving forward to close the ten feet of space between Roscoe and Colden. If Roscoe does that, it'll free up room in the 45' corridor for Guran, Spec, and Fulgrim to surge forward as well. As all three of those characters have movement they have yet to expend for Round 3, it's reasonable to conclude that everyone may be shuffling forward as soon as Roscoe moves. I'd like them to be able to take their movement in Round 3.

And a question for the crowd to dissect: I gave Colden an opportunity attack on Kobold 3 as it scurried away, since it fired then moved out of Colden's reach. My understanding of the rules is that Colden would probably get the opportunity attack if the kobold moved out of reach, even if it had not fired its crossbow. Another question I had as I was deciding how the opportunity attack would pan out is whether Colden somehow should get Advantage on the opportunity attack. I think the answer is no. As it's now late, I'm exhausted, so I want to crowdsource these questions. Please feel free to weigh in, everyone.

I should probably be asking more questions as we go along, but foremost in my mind is moving the action along so that players stay engaged in the game. A slow IC pace is death to PbP. I'll try to do better about presenting my question in the OOC more regularly, though, since part of the reason we're all here is to learn the rules together and players need transparency and rules predictability to aid them in their decision making. Thanks!

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
And a question for the crowd to dissect: I gave Colden an opportunity attack on Kobold 3 as it scurried away, since it fired then moved out of Colden's reach. My understanding of the rules is that Colden would probably get the opportunity attack if the kobold moved out of reach, even if it had not fired its crossbow. Another question I had as I was deciding how the opportunity attack would pan out is whether Colden somehow should get Advantage on the opportunity attack. I think the answer is no.

My take (PHB 195): If the kobold does not take the disengage action (which it can't do if it has attacked and is otherwise normal), then Colden can take an opportunity attack (no advantage), using his reaction (assuming it has not already been used), which if successful will prevent the kobold from continuing its move.

I edited out the opportunity attack Colden made on Kobold 3.

I'll give Strahd until 6 pm eastern US tonight to post in the IC. If he has not posted for Roscoe by that time, I will post for him for the round.

After some discussion and some thought:

1.) With respect to the kobold pack ability, it grants a kobold Advantage on its attack when one of the kobold's allies is within 5' of the target.

2.) With respect to whether a character gets +2 to AC for half cover because they are partially obscured by another creature (ally or foe, doesn't matter) standing between the character and an attacker, I view this as a fact-sensitive inquiry dependent on circumstances. Please don't regard +2 to AC for half cover as a rules constant that will apply universally in every situation; rather, my preference is that if you think it applies, you ask me.

Does anyone have a PHB handy right now? Roscoe has 25' of movement, which is enough to get him to move past Colden and finish his movement in the easternmost square of the hallway but not enough movement to reach and attack Kobold 3 (the kobold that slunk away down the new corridor). If Roscoe were to Dash (which I understand is an action and not a movement), could he still attack Kobold 3 after dashing?

In other words, is move 25', Dash, then attack acceptable per RAW? I think the answer may be no since Dash is an action and attacking is an action, and one generally does not get two actions in one round.

I'm thinking about buying an extra PHB and keeping a copy in my office. That's embarrassing, both to admit and to do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads