• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e CB's Stonefast OOC -- COMPLETE

Query for all of you. I'm currently in the process of planning where the group next adventures. THIS looks intriguing. Wanna take a trip to the Underdark? Or do ya'll want out of the dungeon crawl environment and into the open air on the surface world?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Speaking only for myself: whatever keeps you as a DM most jazzed about continuing; avoiding DM fatigue is the key for me.

Mmmm. Agreed.

I'd been thinking I want out of the dungeon. The narrow walls are killing it for me. The Underdark would be neat, and while there would probably be tight places there would also probably be wide open expanses. Poor Father Spec, however, wouldn't ever get an answer to his question about what color the sky is in this funky new place he's landed.

I'll listen to ya'll's responses here and will have a good think. It's early days to be plotting this decision. We have time.

Addendum: Things that I've been preoccupied with running for roughly six months include: pulp; horror; Cthulu; a mashup of Planescape and x setting (fill in the blank, I mostly just want to start including Planescapey bits); and a wilderness campaign that heavily factors in the external environment as an obstacle.

I don't know which of those might be relevant to the characters we have for this group, though. We've got a team that's custom-built for dungeon crawling. If I start going outside the box too much, I risk irrelevancy on your parts. And that's neither cool nor interesting.

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
On that note: Guran Glimnode was built to adventure in Stonefast: a dwarf (correct race for that place!) who could allow some of the others in the party to shine at combat, without Guran's being necessarily outshone (is that even a word?) at some things -- such as WIS (Perception), for example.

Events didn't transpire in the way in which I thought they would.
That's part and parcel of the learning process for players such as I am, when confronted by a new system such as 5E is.

If we're leaving Stonfast in the future, are the characters going to return (either "triumphantly" or otherwise) to "The Cutlass" in Luskan? If they could, you might want to give us chances (in Luskan) to reconsider what kind of character we want to play in your next adventure.

Fraggly (Yes! it's a deliberate misspelling of "frankly"), my default character race is human.
However, I have grown to like my character Guran Glimnode a little bit; and I almost look forward to moments when he has some opportunity, apart from combat, to promote the worship of Moradin by example, rather than by the eloquence of his tongue -- which, let us be even more frank, is not really "world-class."

Your language play amuses me, tuxgeo.

I'd been envisioning a seamless transition from Stonefast to whatever adventure we undertake next. If the Underdark, then I had rather thought ya'll would discover a quirky little tunnel in Stonefast that lead Down Below. If a wilderness campaign, I'd been thinking that ya'll might be waylaid in the open after leaving Stonefast.

That said, yes, if anyone wants to dump their Stonefast character and start fresh with a new one when we transition from Stonefast, that's fine with me. If I need to supply narrative to the effect that you guys return to Luskan (or some other locale) so that new characters can be introduced, that's fine, too. Those are all pieces that we can work out when we get closer to wrapping up Stonefast.

Again, it's early days for this discussion, but I can at a minimum confirm that I will certainly permit players their choice of keeping, tweaking, or ditching their current character. I can also confirm that I'm at least contemplating picking up Out of the Abyss; it releases September 15, which isn't that far off. The release date is the inception for my query whether ya'll are interested in adventuring in the Underdark. I saw the date and was all, like, "Oooh. Shiny. I wonder what they'd think of that?"

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Obligatory Misunderstanding Comment ("OMC"): The Underdark isn't shiny -- there's hardly any light there at all, at all!

So I am buzzed on Out of the Abyss. Chris Perkins at Green Ronin had this to say about it, "[t]he whimsical Alice in Wonderland style is divisive; Perkins describes it as 'the Underdark becomes the Wonderland of D&D; this crazy weird place that you have to fall down a hole to enter, and it’s full of crazy deranged characters. The more you hang around them, the more you begin to understand them, and the more you realize you’re going crazy yourself.'"

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...-quot-D-amp-D-On-Hard-Mode-quot#ixzz3kd22cSkS

zOMG. It's like Wizards wrapped up all the Cthulu I've been craving with an Underdark bow and put it in my Christmas stocking. HERE is a link to the full interview Perkins gave in Polygon. Very probably I am going to purchase Out o the Abyss in a couple weeks. I'll make sure I skim it before making a decision on whether to phase this group to it from Stonefast.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads