• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e CB's Stonefast OOC -- COMPLETE

Is there any reason not to take the rest here? It would be clear if the big door were opened, and there is only one (known) other route in, which is the way we came. We don't see any sliding ceiling tiles or secret doors -- the worst that could happen is that we discover them!

For a short rest, I think we're fine where we are.
Gut check time. The IC has been unusually quiet of late. Are ya'll busy these days? [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION] and [MENTION=61026]tuxgeo[/MENTION] have been around, but [MENTION=95059]Forged Fury[/MENTION], [MENTION=24609]Strahd_Von_Zarovich[/MENTION], and [MENTION=6787159]Skarsgard[/MENTION] less frequently than previously. Are you still into the game? Are you wanting or needing to wrap up?

As to where to rest, I'm easy. I think either place (the ice storm room or the ossuary) is feasible. [MENTION=61026]tuxgeo[/MENTION] mentioned the group only knowing one route back to the ossuary. Technically, that's correct. But I'd been in the process of typing out a post the other day that announced the group headed to the ossuary (because that seemed to be the general bent in the IC at that time), only to realize that perhaps certain of you wished to investigate here or there along your path back to the ossuary. I neither wanted to hand-hold nor pre-empt such a search, so it seemed wiser to ask you lot to clarify where you're headed, in what marching order, and what (meandering?) path you might want to take to get there.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
As you indicated, I'm still around. Pending input from the rest of the party, Guran isn't going to start marching off to the ossuary room by himself, nor is he going to pick the lock of the ice storm room without consultation and insight from wiser heads than his own. (He doesn't know whether the ice storm room still contains live occupants, for instance; so entering there might lead to a combat that the party isn't quite ready to deal with.)

I've been spending more time in the Temporary Warlord Forum, however, and reading about SCAG. The big sticking point about the potential return of a "Warlord" class to 5E in some future supplement, after its introduction in 4E, was the desire on the part of several posters to avoid having the return of healing that wasn't magical. That point is no longer stuck, however, because the SCAG apparently introduced non-magical healing with the "Purple Dragon Knight." (Official street date for SCAG is still two days away.)

Point of clarification: by "ice storm room," I mean the current room (where the ice storm occurred), not whatever space lies behind the trapped door.

Also, I am probably going to purchase SCAG.

SCAG apparently introduced non-magical healing with the "Purple Dragon Knight."
I've been thinking this for a couple of months. Purple Dragon Knight is a contemptible name for a class. I don't know that I could bring myself to play it out of simple sheer disgust.

I mean, really.

Forged Fury

First Post
The Purple Dragons are the knight class of Cormyr, a country in Faerun in the Forgotten Realms.

I'm still here, but since Fulgrim only took 2 points of damage from the attack, I don't really have much input into what we do next. He doesn't really need to rest, but I know others got hit pretty hard. So I've been waiting on a determination concerning that, whether Spec tries to heal, Colden uses Second Wind, etc. I'm good to keep moving and can attempt to tank, although my arcane ward is kind of low at the moment.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I've been thinking this for a couple of months. Purple Dragon Knight is a contemptible name for a class. I don't know that I could bring myself to play it out of simple sheer disgust. . . .

That's a holdover from 2E, apparently, and the purple prose of Ed Greenwood (and Jeff Grubb) in "Cormyr: A Novel," released April, 1998. The Candlekeep site has a whole lot more on that, including a reference to "the original purple dragon that gave the kingdom that name, Thauglorimorgorus." (Ah, the polysyllabic names that Ed Greenwood throws around everywhere. . . .) If you want listings of the deployed troop strength of Purple Dragon Knights in the fortresses of Cormyr, that's where you want to go, because it has details about troop concentrations at the locations of Suzail, Marsember, Arabel, Castle Crag, Halfhap, Tilverton, High Horn, Eagle Peak, Skull Crag, Wheloon, and Thunderstone. (There's also plenty of et cetera, including tactics and ranks.)

The Steel Regent of Cormyr, Princess Alusair Nacacia Obarskyr, had been a Purple Dragon Knight. (Link to Forgotten Realms on wikia.com.)

Yes, even knowing the gloriously rich history of the Realms does not, I'm afraid, mitigate the ridiculousness of the name for me. It's just one of those things. I'd want to re-name and re-fluff it, were I going to take it to fit a build concept.

Happily, my copy of SCAG is scheduled to arrive on November 5. I am angling to wrap up Stonefast by December. One more month to play, folks.

Decision time, guys. Barring a post from someone saying otherwise between now and 7 am US eastern time tomorrow, I will fast forward the IC by having the group take a long rest in the ice storm room. Can't guarantee it'll be uninterrupted, but it's time we moved the thread along.

If you want something different, now's the time to pipe up!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Is a short rest sufficient? It might be! I don't know if we've cast many spells. I'm down for either, but am fine with a short rest.

Forged Fury

First Post
Short rest would make more sense, we haven't cast really any spells and no one has really used their resources. Colden can even burn his second wind right before we take it and regain it afterward. It's almost like having an extra hit die.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads