• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Cheese

Lejaun

First Post
I find the players who multi-class for an advantage rather than for a good roleplaying character are cheesy, but that's been true of pretty much every version of D&D.

G

Guest 6801328

1) Using Hide/Sneak Attack every round for a ranged rogue.
2) Crossbow Expert tactics that involve running up to prone enemies and shooting them from 5'.
3) Paladins with Polearm Master.
4) Paladins dipping Warlock for spell slots.

Those are the ones that occur to me off the top of my head.

Don't get me wrong...there are lots of builds and synergies that are effective that I like. But somewhere along the spectrum of choices something are over the line for me, and these qualify.

Zardnaar

Legend
1) Using Hide/Sneak Attack every round for a ranged rogue.
2) Crossbow Expert tactics that involve running up to prone enemies and shooting them from 5'.
3) Paladins with Polearm Master.
4) Paladins dipping Warlock for spell slots.

Those are the ones that occur to me off the top of my head.

Don't get me wrong...there are lots of builds and synergies that are effective that I like. But somewhere along the spectrum of choices something are over the line for me, and these qualify.

I have seen most of that lol.

Dom de Dom

First Post
Monks are absolutely ridiculously cheesy, particularly grapple build vs big monsters.

My monk grapples the ancient red dragon.....

Go away.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
What do I find cheesy? The same three people making a new thread every couple days that is a variation of "Here's what I don't like about 5e."

Which is ironic, given that Zardnaar is, as I understand it, pretty thoroughly and enthusastically in the "5e fan" camp.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Monks are absolutely ridiculously cheesy, particularly grapple build vs big monsters.

My monk grapples the ancient red dragon.....

Go away.

It's not cheesy, it's against the rules. You can only grapple a creature that is no more than one size larger than you. So a human monk might be able to grappe an ogre, but not an ancient red dragon.

I give you 1/5 cheese slices! A no name grand generic process cheese slice, with one corner kinda dried up.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I find the players who multi-class for an advantage rather than for a good roleplaying character are cheesy, but that's been true of pretty much every version of D&D.

I was going to award you 5/5 cheese slices, but that would be essentially agreeing with myself, which is rather cheesy. I therefore am forced to award myself one lump of extra smelly cheese, the eye watering-kind.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
It's not cheesy, it's against the rules. You can only grapple a creature that is no more than one size larger than you. So a human monk might be able to grappe an ogre, but not an ancient red dragon.

I give you 1/5 cheese slices! A no name grand generic process cheese slice, with one corner kinda dried up.

Correct. The only way for any character to grapple an ancient red dragon would be someone casting Enlarge Person on them, and they'd probably still need the Grappler feat to make sure the dragon couldn't just weasel out.

Ironically, this makes Bards generally a lot better at grappling than Monks. The combination of Expertise and Magical Secrets lets them get all this juicy goodness for themselves. It's a bit feat-intensive, which is a pretty big cost in 5e, but it has potential.

Remove ads