• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e completely nerfed charm - for YOU, anyway

Morlock

Banned
Banned
Not even remotely.

You were making the argument that a vampire's charm is weaker than domination spells. A player could say, "fine I accept your argument" and then argue that substituting vampire's charm for one of the dominate spells available to players wouldn't upset game balance. On the contrary, the players would be using a custom spell that is "inferior" to the spells in the RAW. It's a classic argument/negotiation error. I.e., don't be surprised when B'rer Rabbit wants to go into the Brier Patch, or when you find out that you really did sell Jack magic beans.

I don't see the improvement. This spell as you've revised it looks like it's designed to be used to make your enemies toss themselves into danger on your behalf (until they make their save, anyway). Charm Person, as designed, isn't that spell. It's not meant to be.

Funny, it worked that way in BECMI. Rules Cyclopedia, Charm Person:

the victim will believe that the spellcaster is its "best friend," and will try to defend the spellcaster against any threat, whether real or imagined.
[...]
the spellcaster may give orders to the victim. These orders should sound like suggestions, as if "just between friends." The charmed victim will usually obey, but the victim may resist orders that are contrary to to the victim's nature (alignment and habits) - he doesn't need to roll anything to resist. A victim will refuse to obey if ordered to kill itself.

And in AD&D. Magic-User version is as the spell, Charm Person or Mammal:

The creature will then regard the druid who cast the spell as a trusted friend and ally to be heeded and protected. The spell does not enable the druid to control the charmed creature as if it were an automaton, but any word or action of the druid will be viewed in its most favorable way. Thus, a charmed creature would not obey a suicide command, but might believe the druid if assured that the only chance to save the druid's life is if the creature holds back an onrushing red dragon for "just a round or two."

And in AD&D 2nd Edition. Charm Person:

If the spell recipient fails his saving throw, he regards the caster as a trusted friend and ally to be heeded and protected. The spell does not enable the caster to control the charmed creature as if it were an automaton, but any word or action of the caster is viewed the most favorable way. Thus, a charmed person would not obey a suicide command, but he might believe the caster if assured that the only chance to save the caster's life is for the person to hold back an onrushing red dragon for "just a round or two."

And in D&D 3rd Edition. Charm Person:

This charm makes a humanoid creature regard you as its trusted friend and ally (treat the target’s attitude as friendly
[...]
The spell does not enable you to control the charmed person as if it were an automaton, but it perceives your words and actions in the most favorable way. You can try to give the subject orders, but you must win an opposed Charisma check to convince it to do anything it wouldn’t ordinarily do. (Retries are not allowed.) An affected creature never obeys suicidal or obviously harmful orders, but a charmed fighter, for example, might believe you if you assured him that the only chance to save your life is for him to hold back an onrushing red dragon for “just a few seconds.”

Dominate Person is that spell, which is why it's Concentration and lets you dictate actions and keeps going when the victim is hurt (until they make their save, anyway).

A vampire's charm serves a different function than each of those effects, as well.

Yeah and I'm saying I'd rather have those "different" effects; I'd rather have the vampire's charm effects than Charm Person or Dominate Person.

Am I missing something, or did the one extra word you add not actually make any real difference in how these spells work?

No, I pasted the wrong text in the first quote. The passage should read:

Replace the following text in the spell description:

Dominate Beast, Dominate Monster, Dominate Person:

Each time the target takes damage, it makes a new Wisdom saving throw against the spell. If the saving throw succeeds, the spell ends.

With the new text:

Each time the target takes damage from you or your companions, or as a direct consequence of your or their actions, it makes a new Wisdom saving throw against the spell. If the saving throw succeeds, the spell ends.

Monsters aren't player characters. They don't and shouldn't need to obey the same rules or have the restrictions. They can have one-shot kill powers (like the banshee) or potent communities or immortality.
They don't need to be balanced for play over 20 levels fighting 1-6 encounters. They just need to exist for 2-10 rounds of combat and then go away.

Players shouldn't have nerfed Charm/Dominate spells, if Monsters have Charm/Dominate that read like the Charms in BECMI/1e/2e/3e. Vampire's charm is like an at-will 15th level spell, going by the way the Charm/Dominate spells available to players are written.

I hear that you're disgruntled with charm/dominate abilities in 5e, but it might be helpful to be precise about what you actually want them to do. What's the goal here?

What I accomplished with the rewrites.

What's the problem?
To me at least, they're two abilities that serve different functions in the game. I don't expect player/monster symmetry.

Player/monster symmetry is irrelevant. I don't want the Charm/Dominate spells available to players to completely suck compared to the vampire's charm, especially when the latter is an at-will ability that lasts 24 hours and doesn't require concentration. Never seen anything in the lit to support the idea that vampire's charm rules while the enchantress' charm drools.

I'd rather see classic spells bumped up in level until they're balanced than see their descriptions nerfed.

Eh, the uber-powerful charm spells of this edition are the Suggestion spells. Sure, you only get one command, but that command can be anything short of suicide if you word it well, the duration is great, and Mass Suggestion doesn't even use concentration. i wouldn't trade them for Vampire Charm.

Yes, suggestion, geas, etc., are all much better than the charm/dominate spells.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
Angersmash Hairtrigger

I was gonna use that for my handle here, but it was already taken.

Sadly, charm and dominate effects were a bit too good in previous editions, it's the classical over-correction in design.

AKA, "fighting the last war."

My biggest complaint with charm and other effects in 5E is that they are too encounter focused. Too many cool effects with uses beyond the current moment have been dropped or shoehorned into the encounter time block.

Yep.

I'd reason that this is because a lot of people don't like sitting out sessions while the DM runs their character.

Sounds like a group problem. Never been a fan of nerfing rules for corner case sucktastic DMs (or meta/power-gaming players, etc.).

If rules must be had, 4e had a novel idea:

Instant Friends:

The saving throw has a +5 bonus if the target is the same level as the user or a higher level. It takes a −5 penalty if the target is a lower level than the user or does not have a level.

And oh my:
Afterward, the target doesn't remember that the user used this power on it.
The horror!

ETA:

I'm sympathetic to the idea that players should have more control over their characters' resistance to charm & dominate (via character build), though. These effects seem more like the kind of thing that should be resisted with something more like old school ability checks; i.e., if your character has an 18 Int or Wis, he has a much better chance of rolling under and resisting than a character with a 10 Int or Wis.

Last edited:

Morlock

Banned
Banned
The gist of the change seems to be that damage triggers a save only when the damage comes from you, your allies, or as a result of actions, either yours or theirs.
Other than the arguing point of what a "direct consequence"is I'm not sure how that changes anything. Anything done after being charmed could be a direct consequence. It's so broad as to be meaningless. It might as well read "any damage" and cause fewer arguments.

Charm spells are inherently ambiguous, so they're never going to be acceptable to 'spergs. Same goes for a lot that doesn't involve rolling damage dice. "Direct consequence" means, e.g., you pushed him off a cliff or dropped a house on him - you didn't harm him, the ground or the house did, but obviously he's going to blame you. Charms require DM interpretation, that's who gives their descriptions meaning.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Morlock said:
Yeah and I'm saying I'd rather have those "different" effects; I'd rather have the vampire's charm effects than Charm Person or Dominate Person.
Sure. The big conceptual square hole for the round peg of "let the players use the Vampire's charm ability" is that it's effectively something that can be permanent. For a monster's ability, that's irrelevant - if it affects an NPC, nobody cares, and if it affects a fellow PC, it only lasts until the PC's go punch the thing's face in, which is what PC's do. In the meantime, it creates interesting decisions for the monster and an interesting RP opportunity for the charmed PC.

For a PC's ability, that's a MUUUUUUCH bigger deal. Having a permanent mental slave show up every day and adventure alongside the party is a big power-up. That WotC didn't design the spell to do this is as intentional as designing the beastmaster ranger's animal companion to cost an action to attack in combat (and why domination only lasts an hour).

So that leaves us with WotC being considered and cautious in developing the charm spells, and applying a different kind of mathematics to the powers of vampires. This is because monsters don't have to work like PC's, and PC's don't have to work like monsters - each has abilities that works best for how they're used in the game.

And if you'd like to change that, you just have to be cool with a wizard PC potentially having a permanent minion (you know, like a high-level fighter, or a terrasque, or whatever).

If you're cool with that, just port it over as a 9th level spell. Lower, if you don't care about overshadowing other charm/domination effects. I wouldn't put it below 6th level myself, but for me, I probably wouldn't let a PC use the vampire's charm ability, because I don't want an enchanter to become more powerful than the rest of the party and I don't want to slow combat to a crawl because I let everyone have permanent NPC minions.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I'm not talking anything bad. Just a love stab, it'll barely pierce his heart. If that much kills him, I am not sure I want him as a friend anyway.

I recall one game where I was playing in a party of all evil characters. The assassin character had daggers with hollow blades and resevoirs for poisons and such. One time he healed my character by throwing one of those daggers filled with a healing potion into one of her buttocks mid-fight.

Lanliss

Explorer
I recall one game where I was playing in a party of all evil characters. The assassin character had daggers with hollow blades and resevoirs for poisons and such. One time he healed my character by throwing one of those daggers filled with a healing potion into one of her buttocks mid-fight.

Did you take dagger damage as well, or just get healed?

Uchawi

First Post
Monsters don't have to work like PCs, but I do not believe monster abilities should be created in a vacuum. There should be some bridge to explain vampire charm versus a spell or risk losing a sense of verisimilitude. The same thing is a problem with legendary actions, because they have the appearance of being created in a vacuum just for the sake of keeping a monster challenging. With 5E, there is lack of depth when creating monsters or PCs to start bridging the gaps so eventually a monster or PC could be very similar depending on specialization.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Eh, the uber-powerful charm spells of this edition are the Suggestion spells. Sure, you only get one command, but that command can be anything short of suicide if you word it well, the duration is great, and Mass Suggestion doesn't even use concentration. i wouldn't trade them for Vampire Charm.

sticker-large.gif

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Charm spells are inherently ambiguous, so they're never going to be acceptable to 'spergs.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Let us be clear - us of dismissive nicknames for groups of people is not acceptable on EN World. It's insulting.

Moreover, language of the form, "You must have some flaw of mentation, character, or psychology to disagree with me," is similarly not acceptable.

Remember this - we expect you to *SHOW RESPECT* for people on these boards. That is a minimum requirement for participation here.

Remove ads