(5E) Frog God Games Rappan Athuk for 5E

Luz

Explorer
Never played this in previous editions but always wanted to give it a try. The new artwork is amazing and the hi res colour maps is also a huge plus for me, so count me in. $95 is a fair price for a 500-page hardcover.

This is one of the classic megadungeons in D&D, and I am glad it is finally here in 5e.

I have talked to FGG in the past about shipping. The issue is backer numbers and total number of books sold in the EU. They use one printer that they trust with very high quality binding and it would take a really big KS with a lot of EU backers to make it worthwhile to split the shipment and send into the EU. Otherwise the price is the standard post office price for the size and weight.

Best bet is probably to get a bunch of friends together and have a local store make one large purchase if you really want cheaper shipping. Or get vacationing friends or coworkers to carry one back.

EU friendly shipping is not really about shipping costs as it's about VAT and fees for shipments from outside the EU. I can see from the replies on the kickstarter that FGG doesn't realize this and thinks it's just about shipping costs.
A shame, as judging from the success already, I bet a lot more Europeans would back it.

(I would be liable to pay an additional $60 in VAT and fees besides the $45 for shipping. That's more than the book itself)

darjr

I crit!
This was a question on colevilles ks.

Somebody tell them it’s easy and they can ask Matt. Or just look at the ENWorld thread about the Matt’s ks

I've backed it at the PDF level. Shipping to Australia is a killer. I bit the bullet and got a hard copy of the Blight for 5E, but I'm going the cheaper electronic version for this.

EU friendly shipping is not really about shipping costs as it's about VAT and fees for shipments from outside the EU. I can see from the replies on the kickstarter that FGG doesn't realize this and thinks it's just about shipping costs.
A shame, as judging from the success already, I bet a lot more Europeans would back it.

(I would be liable to pay an additional $60 in VAT and fees besides the $45 for shipping. That's more than the book itself)

Because I am an accountant and I am from outside the USA and have lived outside the USA, I understand VAT. If I recall correctly, the common tactic is to ship to the UK which has 0% VAT on books and then ship to the EU from the UK. This avoids the VAT surprise.

Now, FGG does not use outside fulfillment companies (it is all done in house), so they need to find and pay for fulfillment in the UK. They also need enough books to make it worthwhile. They have about 600 backers as of this post, and even if you assume EU friendly means more backers, you need to balance it all out. If they get 1200 backers in total, maybe this one kickstarter is big enough, but in general the additional work is not worth the few additional backers.

If fulfillment was outsourced anyways, then it does make sense.

Remove ads