D&D 5E 5e Hardcore: Monster Manual

Zardnaar

Legend
I have added the Yuan-Ti Abomination Royal Guard to the Monstrosities section. [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] sent me some great yuan-ti variants a while back and I thought I had posted this then. But I just notice I forgot to post it. I still need to get back to the rest of the yuan-ti. Thank you again Zardnaar!

Once you get the basic template you can copy, paste, change the numbers around and hey new monster.

akr71

Hero
I have uploaded the Hezrou Brute to the demons section. I also updated the Barrow Giant in the Undead section.

Oooh, awesome! I've had a giant skeleton mini since high school that I can finally use... and when my players get mad at me I can just say dave2008 gave me the idea:lol:

dave2008

Legend
It says barrow giant in the Hezrou's stench trait. :)

I forget, do you have the word template you use for the monsters available somewhere?

The old one is available for the Epic Updates in the downloads section. I haven't made the new one I use available yet (but I think I emailed it to you with the latest version of Koliada). However, I am going to add a suite of downloads at the end of the month to include:

Compiled PDF of monsters
AD&D CR & DPR spreadsheet
Typical Monster Templates
Class Templates

I am currently working on the fighter templates. Not sure how many I will get through by the end of the month they take a lot of time, but I will update the templates and PDF every month moving forward.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=83242]dave2008[/MENTION] Wow, the spell weaver! What a blast from the past.

So, in regards to class templates – I don't do anything so formal, instead using feel – but I do have some notes on making a "Barbarian" monster that might help...

------

This collects my system for creating NPC stats using the guidelines in the DMG, as well as a system for determining CR (Challenge Rating) of the NPCs you create using PHB guidelines. Through my own experimenting, I found the following rule-of-thumb to be sometimes roughly true:

Challenge Rating for non-caster NPCs ~ level * 0.33 or level * 0.5
Challenge Rating for caster NPCs ~ level * 0.5 or level * 0.75

You’ll want to run the numbers, because it’s possible to build an optimized 13th level berserker, for example, with a CR 8, while it’s also possible to build a 13th level diviner who is only CR 4. Spell selection and other specifics of creating the NPC can break this rule-of-thumb. Still, it’s useful to have a rough rule-of-thumb so you can quickly eyeball where you want to start for making NPCs.

The other major thing I noticed in trying to adapt the PHB rules was that there are many class abilities that can be fun for players to track, but asking a DM to track those same abilities (alongside a bunch of other monsters and the other demands of DMing) is just not worth the headache. So I’ve also included my notes for each character class about which abilities to keep, which to excise, and which to modify when it comes to creating NPCs.

Finally, I don’t recommend getting hung up on using exactly the same rules for NPCs as PCs use. I see a lot of DMs accustomed to 3e/3.5e getting hung up on that. Instead, I recommend using a “close enough” approach. Feel free to come up with new ideas for NPC abilities or borrow abilities from monsters in the Monster Manual.

Barbarian
When creating a barbarian NPC, you’ll probably be dealing with a Medium-sized humanoid (with d8 HD), so either go for a 16 or higher Constitution to simulate a barbarian’s d12 HD or give the NPC a few more hit dice.

1st. Rage
Assume that in all fights the NPC is raging, so take their rage damage bonus into account when calculating DPR. Also, make sure to use the damage resistance modifier listed in the DMG, since Rage grants resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

1st. Unarmored Defense
Increase the NPC’s AC if appropriate.

2nd. Reckless Attack
Too fiddly. I recommend cutting it out entirely.

2nd. Danger Sense
Too fiddly. I recommend replacing it with Dexterity save proficiency. Make sure to increase the NPC’s defensive CR as appropriate (i.e. +2 effective AC for having 3-4 proficient saves) for having three proficient saves if you’ve kept the Strength and Constitution save proficiencies from the barbarian class.

Berserker 3rd. Frenzy
The exhaustion bit is fiddly for an NPC. Include it if you want, but it won’t affect CR calculations.

Totem Warrior 3rd. Spirit Seeker
A fine ability to keep, it won’t affect CR calculations.

Totem Warrior 3rd. Totem Spirit
Bear. I would suggest using the HP modifier for resistances one step up on the chart on DMG page 277, so a barbarian NPC with expected CR 5-10 would use a x2 modifier instead of x1.5.
Eagle. I would suggest using a toned down version of the goblin’s Nimble Escape (worth a +2 contriburion to effective AC instead of +4).
Wolf. I would suggest using the wolf’s Pack Tactics.

Berserker 6th. Mindless Rage

Totem Warrior 7th. Aspect of the Beast

7th. Feral Instinct

9th. Brutal Critical (1 die)
My approach with Brutal Critical is to calculate DPR with a +1 to average melee damage for each attack the NPC can make per round.

Berserker 10th. Intimidating Presence
If the NPC is intended to be encountered in a social encounter or as part of a sizable group of monsters, then keep it as is or cut it out – it won’t affect CR. either way.
However, if the NPC is intended to be faced alone or with only a few monsters, then I suggest replacing it with Frightening Presence and calculating CR accordingly as described in the DMG. This is because an action is a precious resources to be spending on making one creature frightened.

Totem Warrior 10th. Spirit Walker

11th. Relentless Rage
This is similar to a weakened version of the zombie’s Undead Fortitude. Actually, the DMG seems to undervalue Undead Fortitude compared to the zombie’s CR 1/4 listed in the MM (whereas DMG calculations would peg a zombie at CR 1/8), so I recommend using Undead Fortitude straight up as a replacement for Relentless Rage in terms of CR calculation.

13th. Brutal Critical (2 dice)
Increase average melee damage by another +1 for each attack the NPC can make per round (a total of +2 from Brutal Critical).

Berserker 14th. Retaliation
Increase the NPC’s DPR by an amount equal to one melee attack per round.

Totem Warrior 14th. Totemic Attunement

15th. Persistent Rage
An OK ability to keep, it won’t affect CR calculations.

17th. Brutal Critical (3 dice)
Increase average melee damage by another +1 for each attack the NPC can make per round (a total of +3 from Brutal Critical).

18th. Indomitable Might
An OK ability to keep, it won’t affect CR calculations.

20th. Primal Champion
CR will be affected according to the corresponding increases in hit points, AC, to hit chance, and DPR resulting from the Strength and Constitution increases.

Last edited:

Remove ads