D&D 5E 5e Hardcore: Monster Manual

dave2008

Legend
It is only for encounter building purposes you multiply the xp to determine encounter difficultly. The individual monster's xp doesn't change.

True, but like I said, per the DMG CR / XP guidelines the elite monsters are a challenge worth 2x - 2.5x the XP of a non-elite monster of the same CR. That is just number crunch straight out of the book. Referencing the encounter building guidelines was just a check to see if that made sense, as fighting one pit fiend general should not be as difficult as fighting 2 pit fiends at the same time, and by RaW this is correct.

dave2008

Legend
It is only for encounter building purposes you multiply the xp to determine encounter difficultly. The individual monster's xp doesn't change.

PS I also don't think you can simply divorce the monster XP and encounter XP. any time you fight a monster it is an "encounter," so you need to understand how those monster's interact with the encounter budget. It is relevant, IMHO, that 2 pit fiends are worth 75,000 XP and the pit fiend general is only 50,000 XP. That feels about right to me as well. Two pit fiends at the same time would be more of a challenge than two pit fiends one after the other.

dave2008

Legend
So multiplying hp and DPR by 150% actually equals a much higher CR and thus xp? If so, I get it.

Yep, that is it.

To be clear, the elites do not simply multiple HP and DPR 150%, the attack bonus and more often the defenses are also sometimes modified. And sometimes the defenses go up 160% and damage only 120%, there is a give and take.

Yes it's more of a challenge, but according to the official rules (which I think this project should adhere to) the increased xp are only 'virtual'. The encounter gets tougher, the xp reward doesn't.

dave2008

Legend
Yes it's more of a challenge, but according to the official rules (which I think this project should adhere to) the increased xp are only 'virtual'. The encounter gets tougher, the xp reward doesn't.

Good point! I often overlook that as I don't actually reward XP in my games anymore. I only use it for encounter building.

However, since the new elite XP math works on a per monster basis by RaW I think the change should stay.

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Gray Render to the Monstrosities section. Wasn't exactly sure where to put as there is not a magical beast type anymore.

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Elder, Ancient, and Primal Air Elementals to the Elementals section. I hope to get the remain 3 typical elementals complete this weekend.

Please note that there is some short of glitch in the forum at the moment that is causing images behind a spoiler tag to also show up on the post directly. I thought it was me for a long time, but after re-posting about 4 times I realized it was also hoping to an old post that had been working fine up until today.

dave2008

Legend
OK, I've posted the elder, ancient, and primal earth elementals to the elementals section.

Can someone please fix or tell me how to fix the double attachment of images that is going on since yesterday? I don't think I can keep posting monsters if every time I put something behind a spoiler tag it keeps also showing up directly in the post.

Remove ads