• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E PHB on Amazon $30 Pre-Order

Blackbrrd

First Post
Now it's 32$, was 40$ when I checked an hour ago. Really weird stuff.

The 4e starter set ended up costing 67$, so if these books end up costing 32*3 = 96$ I think it will be pretty good value for the money. The page count is higher and there has been some inflation since 4e was released.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's also part of their system. Presumably, by having the price fluctuate, that encourages people to "jump in" next time they see a low low price - if they want the best deal then they should pre-order early, rather than just wait for the last minute and get the best deal (which would inevitably be the case if the discount always went up with the number of pre-orders).

I've no idea, but given that you get the best price since the date of your pre-order, surely Amazon is better off when folks order late rather than early?

delericho

Legend
I've no idea, but given that you get the best price since the date of your pre-order, surely Amazon is better off when folks order late rather than early?

If the choice is "order with Amazon now at $30" or "order with Amazon later at $45", then Amazon do indeed benefit from the latter. However, if the choice is "order with Amazon now at $30" or "order with B&N now at $32" then Amazon benefit from the former - both because they've locked in the sale, and also because they've denied it to a competitor.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If the choice is "order with Amazon now at $30" or "order with Amazon later at $45", then Amazon do indeed benefit from the latter. However, if the choice is "order with Amazon now at $30" or "order with B&N now at $32" then Amazon benefit from the former - both because they've locked in the sale, and also because they've denied it to a competitor.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Mercurius

Legend
Now it's 32$, was 40$ when I checked an hour ago. Really weird stuff.

The 4e starter set ended up costing 67$, so if these books end up costing 32*3 = 96$ I think it will be pretty good value for the money. The page count is higher and there has been some inflation since 4e was released.

I believe it was actually $57 for the 4E gift box, although for some reason it is no longer in my Amazon history so I can't check for sure.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I believe it was actually $57 for the 4E gift box, although for some reason it is no longer in my Amazon history so I can't check for sure.
I remember seeing the offer at http://dnd4.com/ and they still have it up there, the price being 66.12$. I believe that was the original price.

I really do hate shipping costs. It costs about 8$ a book from the US*. Which is actually cheaper than it would be if I wanted it shipped in Norway. That would probably be around 10-15$.

*I live in Norway.

30$ just means, that your FLGS won´t have a chance to compete. It means, post deliverers are underpaid and it eventually means, brick and mortar stores will eventually have to close down if they can´t get enoug gamers for charged in store programs.

40$ ok... but 30$ is price dumping (do you call it that in English?). No chance I will buy that few bucks on something I want to support. I rather pay twice the amount to have a store in my vicinity.
If you can´t afford it, go and buy it on amazon. But if you have the money to spend, support your local store (if you like them, of course).

30$ just means, that your FLGS won´t have a chance to compete. It means, post deliverers are underpaid and it eventually means, brick and mortar stores will eventually have to close down if they can´t get enoug gamers for charged in store programs.

40$ ok... but 30$ is price dumping (do you call it that in English?). No chance I will buy that few bucks on something I want to support. I rather pay twice the amount to have a store in my vicinity.
If you can´t afford it, go and buy it on amazon. But if you have the money to spend, support your local store (if you like them, of course).

All very good if you have a store that sells this within 3 hours drive (my nearest store, but only sells Magic stuff). Or even the same country. Not sure there is anywhere in NZ that will sell 5E at all apart from webstores.

Remove ads