• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [5e] QL's Al-Qadim Game

Jago

Explorer
May have to roll up the person who sent Kaniel running when he was a teen ...

As for Magic Items, I believe I have the simplest solution.

My Satchel of Jauhar (Heward's Handy Haversack) is a Rare item. Can I just swap it for a Sun Blade, also a Rare Item, and keep the 3 scrolls, the potion, and the Gloves of Swimming and Climbing?

Quickleaf

Legend
May have to roll up the person who sent Kaniel running when he was a teen ...

Do it, you know you want to. ;)

As for Magic Items, I believe I have the simplest solution.

My Satchel of Jauhar (Heward's Handy Haversack) is a Rare item. Can I just swap it for a Sun Blade, also a Rare Item, and keep the 3 scrolls, the potion, and the Gloves of Swimming and Climbing?

Sure! I trust you to fit the sun blade to the flavor of our campaign rather than, ya know, a lightsaber by another name.

Jago

Explorer
I was going to work it into his backstory, actually: the blade is a relic of House Nasr, one he was entrusted to protect, adding to Kaniel's hesitation to return home (as on top of failing his duties, he baaasically stole a priceless treasure of his people). Although if he was told to protect it, well, so far he's technically done that ..?

Tentative name would be The Spiritual Talon of Enlightened Radiance? Summoned forth by prayer and crying like the mighty eagle every time it strikes.

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm...what about just 'Enlightened Radiance?' Or even just 'Enlightenment?' A fun little play on words there.

After all, we're naming a sword here, not a charm in Exalted. ;)

Jago

Explorer
From everything I've seen so far, there is no such thing as a simple Al-Badia title or name, lol

... Although there is something to be said for a holy sword made of pure light to be named, simply, "Enlightenment". I do like that.

Shayuri

First Post
The sword may not be Al-Badian in origin. Perhaps it's of a truly ancient pedigree? How did Kaniel come by such a remarkable weapon?

Jago

Explorer
The Desert Mosque holds many secrets, Sadiq. Though perhaps the blade is from the time of The Loregiver: it is certainly remarkable enough to be something literally bestowed down from the hands of The Enlightened Gods.

Kaniel's House, Nasr, The People of The Eagle, guard The Desert Mosque in The High Desert: an incredibly holy site for The Enlightened Faith. Kaniel himself was essentially in his trials to become a guard of this Mosque when it was attacked by ... something horrible. Creatures in dark robes wielding terrible magics.

Kaniel bravely ran away, but not before taking his trinket: an urn containing the ashes of a great hero, which he was to protect and did not want to fall to whomever these assailants were. It is entirely possible that in the same instance, Kaniel grabbed the blade to protect it as well as he fled.

Hell, maybe the "urn" IS the blade's hilt: guardians of the past having their ashes enshrined in the greatest treasure of House Nasr, their spirits lending power to form a sword of unparalleled radiance as a living sun to protect The Desert Mosque.

Shayuri

First Post
It will be entertaining to see Akilah instruct her loyal, but innocent, acolyte in the nuance of moral relativism in the face of necessity. :)

Remove ads