• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [5e] QL's Al-Qadim Game

Quickleaf

Legend
I was discussing encouraging your character niches earlier with some of you, and I wanted to bring up a question for [MENTION=6855130]Jago[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION] (whose PCs share the Religion skill), as well as [MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6866331]Foxbytes[/MENTION] (whose PCs share the Arcana skill).

Finding a way to differentiate Kaniel's Religion skill from Akilah's Religion skill, and similarly Salahuddin's Arcana skill from Najiyah's Arcana skill might help to protect your character niches when it comes to monster lore and so forth.

Here's my idea:

Pick 3 (or maybe 4?) things that you feel define that skill for your PC, and those become the areas I'll focus on asking you for checks on (or just giving you information about). For example...

Arcana (possible topics):
  • abberations
  • constructs
  • dragons
  • elementals
  • fey
  • fiends
  • giants
  • monstrosities
  • plants & oozes (I've grouped these since they're both relatively rare monster types, but plants could also be linked to fey and oozes to abberations, either way is good)
  • general magical lore (magic items, eldritch symbols, arcane societies, planes of existence)
  • arcane spellcraft (identify spells from bard, sorcerer, warlock, and wizard lists)

Religion (possible topics):
  • celestials
  • fiends
  • undead
  • Enlightened Faith (folk traditions, informal holy sites, local rites and prayers, lore about deities & the Loregiver)
  • Enlightened Faith (clerical orders, religious hierarchy, mosques, formal rites and prayers, lore about deities & the Loregiver)
  • "savage" unenlightened cults
  • divine spellcraft (identify spells from cleric, druid, paladin, and ranger lists)

Does this approach jive with everyone?

Last edited:

This could work. I might suggest having us know the basic information for our specialty with possible additional specifics with a check. Then standard checks for basic info when no specialty.

Jago

Explorer
I do like this idea! I know that for Kaniel's part, the Religion specialty for Folk Traditions and such definitely fits, considering his Al-Badia background.

Dunno about how the others fit in. Perhaps Celestials, considering the connection to The Desert Mosque?

Foxbytes

First Post
So, I know the pacing of the game has been kind of all over the place and certain details may have faded from the forefront, but just as the friendliest of reminders to [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION], the primary reason for Kaniel being recruited to the party was to serve as a guide for us through the High Desert, what with his expansive knowledge and experience as a Mamluk...and Salahuddin, too, was to serve as something of a guide for the more arcane and less material planar city of the genies.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't have a need for NPC guides; I'm curious what Akilah is looking to gain from Derafsh (what her underlying goal is)?

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6866331]Foxbytes[/MENTION] [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855130]Jago[/MENTION]

I'll add that it's very likely the nature of Kaniel's High Desert knowledge is different from the NPCs Nimar or Derafsh's High Desert knowledge. Simply put, the NPCs would likely know the seedier side of desert life, such as where certain matruds (tribal exiles) are hidden, more in-depth information about tribes prone to raiding, and more lore pertaining specifically to the old civil war between Tajar & the High Desert tribes.

Whereas Kaniel would know the more upright side of desert life, like the names of various sheikhs, tribal customs, well known oases, about the Desert Mosque, about various geographic sites, the Gathering of Seven Great Tribes, etc.

Foxbytes

First Post
Ah, well, so long as there's a Plan.

c74f6186bed619f7b5de32313abd287c.gif

Thateous

Explorer
Fact. They would know ambush points and routes to avoid or to be very alert while traveling. This also plays into her ideals of doing her duty to the people. Also don't forget that the people we seek attack full caravans and get away. More bodies, specifically ones used to combat, wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my SM-G935P using EN World mobile app

Remove ads