• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part XI: Rangers)

Argyle King

Legend
Beast Master 13
Fey Wanderer 9
Gloom Stalker 24 + 1 = 25
Horizon Walker 19
Hunter 27
Monster Slayer 9
Primeval Guardian 17
Swarmkeeper 16 - 2 = 14

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Beast Master 13
Fey Wanderer 10
Gloom Stalker 21
Horizon Walker 19
Hunter 27
Monster Slayer 9
Primeval Guardian 16
Swarmkeeper 15

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Beast Master 13
Fey Wanderer 10 + 1 = 11
Gloom Stalker 21
Horizon Walker 19
Hunter 27 - 2 = 25
Monster Slayer 9
Primeval Guardian 16
Swarmkeeper 15

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Yikes... it's like a terrible TERRIBLE attempt at a Warden? It's way too all-in on the plant thing... yet no Thorn Whip cantrip?
Well, if the Thorn Whip cantrip is a deal-breaker for you, there's always the Magic Initiate feat. Go ahead and grab Entangle while you're at it.

niklinna

satisfied?
Swarmkeeper 17 - 2 = 15 (cool concept but not what I look for in a Ranger)
For some reason your comment got me thinking of a really angry Snow White Ranger character (maybe multiclassed Bard), tutored by the huntsman who refused to kill her at the beginning of the movie, in full knowledge of the queen's evil and GUNNING FOR HER with a flock of shrikes.

Content warning!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Beast Master 13
Fey Wanderer 11
Gloom Stalker 22
Horizon Walker 19
Hunter 25
Monster Slayer 7
Primeval Guardian 16
Swarmkeeper 15

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
....it has a dragon companion. That's what it's got to do with it. It is literally a "draconic spirit" which can assume a "physical form." It is a dragon companion. It literally starts out as a Small Dragon and grows to being a Medium Dragon and then a Large Dragon, wings and all.

It has no breath weapon until level 11, can’t fly until level 7, and can’t carry you in flight until level 15, past when most people will ever get to play the character.

You get a drake companion.
I just...I don't understand how it can be a "weird subclass that has little if any connection to being a ranger." It's a ranger with a draconic animal companion. That's literally what it is.
The fact they put it in ranger doesn’t give it any thematic tie to being a ranger. It has no particular reason to be a ranger subclass rather than a fighter subclass.
You focus on making your dragon-friend better at being a dragon-friend, and get perks in the process, like resistance to its elemental essence.
What do I want with perks, when I could have got an actual dragon that I can ride in flight at a level that most campaigns actually see?
What more could you possibly want from a dragon-themed ranger? You literally get a dragon friend and draconic benefits!

By level 15, you have a dragon friend. At 3rd level, it might as well be a wolf that magically gives me resistance to a damage type. Choose cold, and it’s a pretty cool winter wolf companion.

Just sayin, there are plenty of things to dislike about it beyond the dismissive and reductive list given upthread.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads