• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part XI: Rangers)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Beast Master 14
Fey Wanderer 11
Gloom Stalker 22
Horizon Walker 19
Hunter 23
Monster Slayer 7
Primeval Guardian 16
Swarmkeeper 15

I like all the remaining subclasses, so at this point it’s just downvotes for the leader and upvotes for whichever of my favorites is sitting lowest.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Beast Master 14
Fey Wanderer 11
Gloom Stalker 22
Horizon Walker 19
Hunter 23
Monster Slayer 7
Primeval Guardian 14
Swarmkeeper 16

Undrave

Legend
With no prior experience with a Warden, Primeval Guardian seems a pretty potent, thematically evocative option. Curious what folks' reservations were about it.
The big thing is it feels very inflexible. So you end up just doing the same thing over and over again. It makes you into a big tree thing and that's about it. Once you've done it a few times it'll feel pretty rote.

cwallach

Explorer
Beast Master 14
Fey Wanderer 11 + 1 = 12
Gloom Stalker 22
Horizon Walker 19
Hunter 23
Monster Slayer 7
Primeval Guardian 14 - 2 = 12
Swarmkeeper 16

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
The big thing is it feels very inflexible. So you end up just doing the same thing over and over again. It makes you into a big tree thing and that's about it. Once you've done it a few times it'll feel pretty rote.
But isn't that what a subclass is supposed to do? It seems like the developers intended for the base class to give your character variety and options--combat styles, spell slots, terrain options, etc.--and the subclass is then supposed to give a layer of specialization or focus.

(I'm not a dev, so I could be entirely wrong...but that's sort of the feel I get from looking back over all of the subclasses and subclass UA playtests.)

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
Beast Master 14
Fey Wanderer 12
Gloom Stalker 22
Horizon Walker 19
Hunter 23 +1= 24
Monster Slayer 7 -2=5
Primeval Guardian 12
Swarmkeeper 16

I can see a case that it makes actions in combat mechanically uninteresting as it doesn't really introduce any new actions beyond becoming a big tree thing.

That said, the benefits are at least consistently available and applicable for all the subclass features which is a "higher than you'd expect" bar for many subclass features to clear.

And tbh, I think a enough subclass features falls into this "bland mechanics" bucket that this instance doesn't feel out of place.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads