D&D 5E [5e] Swashbuckler/Fighter makeshift tank

bid

First Post
I see. If you are dex based then battle master and parry adds a ton of tankiness if you save your superiority dice for the damage reduction ability.

Assuming 2 short rests and 18 dex then:
8.5 average damage stopped per parry.
8.5*4*3 = 102 average damage mitigation.
A rogue will never use parry. Reaction is taken by uncanny dodge.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
A rogue will never use parry. Reaction is taken by uncanny dodge.

1. For a level 4 rogue level 2 fighter:
If attacks do 10 damage then uncanny dodge over 24 rounds of combat reduces exactly 120 damage.
If attacks do 10 damage then parry over 24 rounds will reduce about 102 damage. (Will likely be a little less due to sometimes overrolling how much damage is dealt).

The point is that for tankiness the level for battle master for parry is pretty comparable to uncanny dodge. This also has the goal of racing you to another feat and extra attack faster than the rogue level. Given the OP's goals the level of battlemaster now isn't bad.

2. Even once both uncanny dodge and parry are obtained there is still a place for parry when trying to make a tanky character. Because of how they work parry can situationally be better than uncanny dodge which still makes it useful.

bid

First Post
Even once both uncanny dodge and parry are obtained there is still a place for parry when trying to make a tanky character. Because of how they work parry can situationally be better than uncanny dodge which still makes it useful.
Uncanny has no cost and can be done every round.
Parry takes one of your 3 maneuvers, and uses up your 4 superiority dice.

I shouldn't have to spell it out.

Eladain

First Post

Pretty much this, but it's even more in favor of uncanny dodge than what bid mentioned. As a Rogue(Swashbuckler)/Fighter I almost always top the initiative list. Going battlemaster puts me into a guessing game every round where I have to weigh the risk of using a maneuver offensively, even a tanky maneuver like menace or trip attack, vs holding back those dice to potentially parry attacks. If I use superiority dice offensively, and then get hit resulting in the cleric having to heal me or even potentially death, then I haven't been as efficient as possible. Likewise if I save my dice, and don't get hit, then I've had a suboptimal turn. It basically adds an unnecessary dice roll to each turn. Not to mention Uncanny Dodge works against ANY attack in which you can see the attacker. Parry is limited to melee attacks only.

I know there was mention of my "goal" for this character. Just to be clear I'm not trying to rush this feat or that ability. I'm just trying to fill a party need as efficiently as possible from level to level. For this next level (7), uncanny dodge is the clear choice to accomplish that. Obviously if I had known I'd be needed to tank, level progression and even race choice would've been different, but stuff happens.

I do appreciate the discussion and feedback though. It's always helpful to get other perspectives even on builds that aren't necessarily optimized from start to finish.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

I shouldn't have to spell it out either. When making a tanky PC both abilities are useful for making you more tanky. That's a fact that can't be argued against.

bid

First Post
I shouldn't have to spell it out either. When making a tanky PC both abilities are useful for making you more tanky. That's a fact that can't be argued against.
I just did. With real arguments.

Let me spell it out further:
- parry vs 10 damage = 8.5 saved
- uncanny dodge vs 10 damage = 5 saved
Difference = 3.5 saved, or 42 per day.

That piddly 42 damage reduction is a waste compared to uncanny dodge's 120 and whatever damage reduction you can get from the proning/pushing/fearing with its 54 damage.

hejtmane

Explorer
Dual wielder feat would give 1 ac and then put more levels in fighter eventually for more HP and the tough feat will help that way you can keep your twf

Kithas

First Post
Doing two weapon fighting without the fs seems worse than doing a copier and a shield with defensive or duelling.
Rogue tank will be plenty tanky and sneak attack should be plenty to keep you doing good damage. The main issue I foresee you having is making the baddies stick to you, sentinels or booming blade would help. You also don't have any good crowd control abilities or aoe. not sure if you're open to options on those or if you are set on rogue/fighter.

Eladain

First Post
You'll have to forgive me it's late and my brain just went blank when you said "without the fs"?

It's not so much that I'm set on rogue/fighter it just happens to be what the character already was when our tank had to leave the party for rl reasons. Currently sitting at Rogue(Swashbuckler) 5/Fighter 2. At least the next 3 levels will go into fighter. Stickiness is definitely a concern and one I'm hoping Battlemaster will help with at my next level up. Our DM is also largely an "attack the closest pc" kinda guy which helps for the time being. I have planned to work in magic initiate for booming blade later on (next feat in 2 levels), but I'm open to other options as well.

Currently sitting at 20 AC: Base (10), Studded leather (+2), Ring of Protection (+1), Dex (+5), Dual Wielder (+1), Mariner Fighting Style (+1) and 62 HP. With Uncanny Dodge halving most damage.

Kithas

First Post
Sorry I shortcjut fighting style to fs. I also neglected to reread the first post and didn't remember that this was an ongoing ctaracter. my apologies.

Booming blade will definitely help as would lightning lure. however using those means you cannot use your bonus action for your offhand attack. As you are I recommend sentinel. It stops at least one enemy from leaving as long as you hit and you get to sneak attack on it most likely.

Remove ads