D&D 5E [5e] What to play in a 2-people group? Other character is a paladin.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'm not sure how this can make any sense.

Depends how much of a jerk your DM is.

If you have an 18 STR, rage, then shift into a creature with 16 STR, it could be ruled that the new STR _replaces_ your old STR and might not apply to the now improved STR.

But I doubt anyone would rule like that.

bid

First Post
If you have an 18 STR, rage, then shift into a creature with 16 STR, it could be ruled that the new STR _replaces_ your old STR and might not apply to the now improved STR.
Well, that's RAW so yes. Why would a barbarian / moon druid MC go above Str13 anyway?

And what is this "improved Str", are you sure you're talking about 5e?

Depends how much of a jerk your DM is.

But I doubt anyone would rule like that.

I don't understand. Rage doesn't affect your Strength, and your Strength in the wildshape form is going to be the beast's. This is true whether you rage or wildshape first.

Grifter730

First Post
I'm ruling out Moon Druid and Bladesinger because they're both melee-focused. Still looking into possibilities with Bard and Druid builds, I'm just not sure how they handle range attacks.

So about 12 interesting combinations, enough for any taste. My favorites:
- EK 11 / nature 9 archer (3 ASI + SS + warcaster, 5th spells, 6th slot)

What is "nature archer"? Sorry, I'm totally new to 5e.

Lehrbuch

First Post
What would be the best build to play for a 2-people group? One character is a polearm paladin going vengeance.

Double down on what you are good at and pick another Paladin (same Vow; probably not a polearm wielder).

Two paladins questing together will make for a great memorable story.

Kithas

First Post
So far the suggestions seem to be covering what you don't have and making the paladin better. I offer a counter suggestion; Do similar things to the paladin but differently. For this I would suggest a str based melee ranger.

Ranger gives you exceptional aoe and defensive abilites so you can stand side-by-side with your pally buddy and not worry about him having to "protect" you. His buffs make you hit super hard, and using a shield+Javelin(dueling does work with thrown weapons RAW/I) you can still cover range fairly effectively. Basically you guys should focus on being hard to kill melee powerhouses in my opinion, if there's a ranged problem, chuck a Javelin and ensnaring strike at it then walk over and smash them. Paladin buffs like crusader's mantle mean your whirlwind attack+horde breaker hit like a truck, plus you can use ensnaring strike to give him advantage/restrain an enemy for a while.

Your friend going vengeance and using a polearm he probably isn't going to be super defensive, I would expect a high str, then maybe con/cha, great weapon fighting fs and mostly feats to hit harder(that's my experience with polarm users and veng pally's in general). So you can't count on him to be very defensive. Honestly you may need to drag his butt out of the fire from time to time.

If you need more defense go level1 fighter for defensive and heavy armor, maybe even a 2 level dip for action surge once you have Whirlwind attack(this would also mean you don't need a +2 in dex which is big). Add on top of that Multiattack defense, and evasion eventually and you two will be nearly unkillable. For stats I suggest Prioritizing Con->Wis->Str, wis mostly so your dc on ensnaring is high, it's a shame to waste that spell. Con is a big deal for a two-man party and I would even suggest he go Con-Str-Cha or cha over str. You two will be able to take on way more epic challenges and get through it if you have more health. Remember you can only do damage while you're alive!

Personally I would never play a low-hp ranged damage dealer/Mage in a two person group, your paladin friend will not be able to keep people off of you and you will end up in melee more often than not, in a larger group you can get away with it but with two they are coming for you too and you need to be ready.

P.s. being a two-man party most of the time you will be out-numbered, and in 5e that's bad. For your paladin friend I would strongly suggest Magic initiate into warlock for Thunderclap/Blade whirl and Eldritch blast/Frostbite, and whatever L1 spell he wants, Earth tremor is pretty good. This will give him a great aoe option when you guys get knee deep in baddies and give a solid ranged option. Also Heavy armor master really helps when outnumbered(if you go fighter you could get this too).

Last edited:

bid

First Post
From the fact that he said you get 5th level spells, I assume that "nature archer" must refer to Eldritch Knight 11/Nature Cleric 9.
Yes, that's what I meant. Thank you for clarifying it.

A 3-attack archery style fighter with cleric utilities such as dampen element.

mellored

Legend
I'd say horde slayer archer ranger.

Dex/Wis, with ranged attacks and good AoE spells.

Then names yourselves "Night Stalker" and "Daybreak".

Remove ads