• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [5e] Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Axel

First Post
For a PbP game, I'm quite happy with your initiative proposal. Hell, even for a sit down game I like it. :)

It's rare that the steps in between monster actions will have much influence on each other. And for a 6 second round, actions really should be decided effectively simultaneously.

Quickleaf

Legend
For a PbP game, I'm quite happy with your initiative proposal. Hell, even for a sit down game I like it. :)

It's rare that the steps in between monster actions will have much influence on each other. And for a 6 second round, actions really should be decided effectively simultaneously.

True! The other thing we'll probably find is that you guys and gals can get used to a certain initiative order amongst yourself, which can help with posting rhythm in combat and devising strategy.

For example, Talashia (@Shayuri) and Fergus (@Fenris) are probably always going to post next to each, in whatever order they prefer.

And then Darius (@Skarsgard), Elora (@Queenie), Ethian (@Steve Gorak), and Kynee (@Axel) are probably going to post in a cluster, in whatever order they prefer.

Quickleaf

Legend
So whatever did happen with the spirit possessing Odvara's body? It just up and left come morning?

Pretty much any answer we come up with works for what I have "planned" for the spirit. The spirit isn't in her, as far as you know...whether that's because the spirit left come morning as it said it would...or because you intervened somehow...I'm happy leaving that up to you guys. I'm also happy as leaving it as a Schroedinger's plot point that we can fill the details of with narrative recounting or a flashback.

I opted for this approach because we already had about 10+ pages of dealing with the spirit and some of the players didn't have much to do. Not that everyone's PCs need to be engaged to the same level all the time, but IIRC Darius basically didn't participate much.

Also, the Witcher books pull this sort of trick a lot, where there's a bit of a cliffhanger or the protagonists start talking about past events that the reader has only received sparse glimpses of. I also tried to do a bit of that with the whole rolling for random events as you traveled the mountain path.

And though the spirit will definitely come up again, it's not the object of your quest. So, knowing how PbP can be slow-moving I wanted you guys closer to the action, so to speak.

Shayuri

First Post
And it's worth saying that in PBPs, when the narrative snags, editing past the snag is often the best way to get things back on track. I've seen that happen quite a bit.

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks for the push :)

Let's do a quick roll-call and see who wants to continue playing? [MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] [MENTION=93196]Axel[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] [MENTION=6787159]Skarsgard[/MENTION]

I *think* we left off with Elora's wild surge and a sudden "blood eclipse" while you were exploring Old Nan's hut (which is a Place of Power), and we were in the middle of a fight against a group of drowners? Am I remembering right?

Shayuri

First Post
I'm in!

And yeah, that sounds right. I recall Talashia shooting drowners through a window out of the hut, but some had busted in...

Axel

First Post
Wow. Blast from the past!

I've been super inactive and let a couple games die... :-(

Anyway, count me in as "back"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove ads