• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5th ed Headless Horseman For Halloween Need Review

gamefreak180

First Post
ok so realized i was posting in the wrong part of the forums and with a little over a week till halloween need some advice on a boss monster
So i am running a small adventure for my group on halloween and need advice on the main villain the horseman I have one created however I am not sure about his CR and if he needs more or less added. He is meant to go against a party of 2. a Sorcerer and a ranger are the players they are level 10 with a custom animal companion that sort of acts as a weaker 3rd player.
here is his stats and thoughts comments and suggestions are very much welcomed this is my first time trying to create a boss from scratch without any framework.
the mount is a nightmare and they stages are due to my party members easily chewing through hp pools and to add some depth to the fight.

Headless Horseman
med undead
Ac18
Hp stage 1 150 stage 2 250
Saves Str+9 Dex +5 Con+8 Int+5 Wis+7 Cha+14
Legendary resistance 3per day if the hoseman fails a saving throw he can choose to succeed instead

20 Str +5
12 Dex +1
18 Con +4
12 Int +1
16 Wis +3
22 Cha +6

Immune- Poison, Fear, Charm, Stunned, deafened, Fire, psychic, necrotic
Resistant- Piercing, Acid,
Vulnerable- radiant, Cold

Mount +5 1d6 bashing +1d6 fire + 3

Jack o Flail reach 15ft min distance 10 ft +8 2d6 bashing +5 + 2d6 fire damage
on a hit the target and all those adjacent take 1d6 fire damage
a bonus action is needed to start spinning the weapon before it can be used

Horseman’s Sword +8 1d8(or 1d10) +5 +2d6 fire damage on a 20 the target is decapitated
attacks twice

hand axe +8 1d6+ 5 + 2d6 fire damage
can be thrown 10ft

Jack o lantern toss(3 times per day) dc 18 dex for half damage 10d6 fire damage
range 150ft 20ft blast radius

Army of the Damned (1 time per day)
summon 3d6 skeletons or 1d6 flaming skulls

Special- if a character hold the horseman’s skull they can use a bonus action to cause a member of the party to take half damage until the beginning of their next turn.
Stage 1
the horseman focuses on using its ranged attacks starting off with Army of the damned and a jack o lantern toss, then until a party member gets close uses the flail.

Stage 2
he loses his mount and then begins to commit to melee combat attacking with ferocity working to down one party member at a time

stage 3?
should the horseman die he returns the next night at full strength. unless he head is rejoined with the body on hallowed ground where he is permanently destroyed.

Remathilis

Legend
Damn, I was just about to post my own version. Well, here's mine.

HEADLESS HORSEMAN
Medium undead, neutral evil
Armor Class 13 (leather armor)
Hit Points 105 (14d8 + 42)
Speed 30ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
18 (+4) 14 (+2) 16 (+3) 13 (+1) 14 (+2) 16 (+3)
Damage Resistances fire (when mounted), bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities blinded, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned
Senses blindsight 60ft (blinded beyond this point)., passive Perception 13
Languages understands Common and Infernal, but cannot speak
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
Headless. The Headless Horseman is immune to vorpal weapons or other attacks that target its head. It can still “see” using blindsense and hear normally.
Master Horseman. The Horseman cannot be dismounted unless its steed is killed. It can force an attack targeted at its mount to target it instead.
Rejuvenation. When the Headless Horseman’s body is destroyed, its soul lingers. After 24 hours, the horseman reforms and regains all its hit points. Only reuniting the Horseman with its head will stop this from occurring.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The Headless Horseman makes two battleaxe attacks.
Battleaxe. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d8+4) bludgeoning damage plus 4 (1d8) fire damage
Flaming Pumpkin Bomb. Ranged Spell Attack: +7 to hit, reach 30 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (3d6) fire damage.
Frightful Laugh. The Headless Horseman emit a cackling laugh, causing those who hear it to panic. Each non-undead creature within 60 feet of the Horseman that can hear it must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. A frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the frightened condition on itself on a success. If a target's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the target is immune to the Horseman's Frightful Laugh for the next 24 hours.

NIGHTMARE (See MM)

Remove ads